Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Re-registering kitfox possible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re-registering kitfox possible?

So, I am in the middle of rebuilding a model 3 that I bought in airworthy condition. I am redoing most of the plane including engine,gear,instruments,covering, etc, etc. Is it possible to build as if i am the original builder and apply for new n number/ registration. Where would I look for information to do this?

Default Re: Re-registering kitfox possible?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is somewhere between probably not and maybe. You will have to convince the FISDO or DAR that you built the airplane from "parts".

I went through this same decision when rebuilding the Mangy Fox. I chose to just embrace the idea that I am not the manufacturer. There's a couple of reasons not to.

1 - I don't mind the idea of another person looking at my plane once a year to "check my work" so to speak.

2 - I only had a 5 hour phase one flight testing period (because I changed the prop!) rather than the 40 hours needed if I were to have become the manufacturer.

3 - I paid state sales tax when I bought the airplane. If I were to have "built from parts" I would have to calculate the cost of these parts, less taxed receipts, and pay sales tax again to register the plane.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is somewhere between probably not and maybe. You will have to convince the FISDO or DAR that you built the airplane from "parts".

I went through this same decision when rebuilding the Mangy Fox. I chose to just embrace the idea that I am not the manufacturer. There's a couple of reasons not to.

1 - I don't mind the idea of another person looking at my plane once a year to "check my work" so to speak.

2 - I only had a 5 hour phase one flight testing period (because I changed the prop!) rather than the 40 hours needed if I were to have become the manufacturer.

3 - I paid state sales tax when I bought the airplane. If I were to have "built from parts" I would have to calculate the cost of these parts, less taxed receipts, and pay sales tax again to register the plane.
    I still can't understand the 5 hours of flight testing for a prop change. Same diameter, same pitch, but different manufacturer and you have to waste 5 hours boring holes in the sky...

So I say I paid 1000 for some wings and a fuselage and take a bunch of pictures of the rest of the build. Where will I run into isssues? All of those points are valid but I think it would be cool to strip it completely and rebuild with me as the builder. I'm not saying that's the way to go just trying to weigh the options. Thanks av8r3400

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird19kf View Post
    So I say I paid 1000 for some wings and a fuselage and take a bunch of pictures of the rest of the build. Where will I run into isssues? All of those points are valid but I think it would be cool to strip it completely and rebuild with me as the builder. I'm not saying that's the way to go just trying to weigh the options. Thanks av8r3400
    Again it will depend on the DAR/FISDO rep that inspects your project. Lately around here, they are very interested in seeing not just a builders log, but photos of you, the builder, working on the plane in various stages, showing that you truly built 51% of the plane. Recovering a set of purchased wings and fuselage won't cut it for making that magic 51% of the plane if the inspector is "by the book".
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Gotcha. Would you recommend calling my local fisdo before hand with that question? How do I figure out who that is? Sorry but I am totally new to how this experimental buisiness works and I appreciate the guidance.