Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rib Stitching Anyone??

Default Rib Stitching Anyone??

I am just about to the point of rib stitching which I'm sure I'm not going to be crazy about. Has anyone ever used Martian Clips on a KF?? Or do you think they will work. Any suggestions other than rib lacing will be great.

Default Re: Rib Stitching Anyone??

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Kitfoxes and Avids flying without any mechanical rib-to-fabric attachments. Only the poly-tac glue.

Neither of my planes are stitched, clipped or ...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Personally, I would prefer the path of "better safe than sorry". Granted you can do anything you want with your experimental build, however, the fact that the rib lacing is in the kit instructions is not an accident.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I know the way I fly. With that said, I did rib stitch. But, I got tired of the methode and went to individual loops all down the rib. Hope this helps, much easier doing it that way.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Hi Bob,

Well....... if you have been around pilots and builders for very long, you are well aware that if you take all of us and line us up end to end it is nearly impossible to get two opinions the same....probably how it should be, cuz that is what keeps it interesting and keeps us learning. So..... I figure that gives me license to have an opinion of my own; while, everyone else out there can certainly have theirs.

My opinion is that wings, tail feathers, etc are going to be in service with however we build them for 20 years - given the type of materials we have now. That said, the time a person spends on rib stitching is almost irrelevant; and, doing it leaves no doubt about the outcome....I like the idea of having no doubt about the outcome in this business; but, that is just me.

Another angle a person could look at is this.....Building is a learning experience for each of us. Doing the rib stitching allows us to cross off one more little box on our bucket list - badge of honor for figuring it out or whatever. A new skill, etc. If a person doesn't learn how to ribstitch, a person is missing out on developing a skill which is so much a part of aviation history and airplane construction.

Actually, I was not looking forward to rib stitching either - sounded like a PITA - once I locked myself in the shop with the needle and thread and instruction book - turned out it really didn't take that long to complete the wings; and, I have to admit to feeling some degree of satisfaction having mastered the skill.

When it gets down to it, rib stitching is tried and true. There have been a few situations memorialized in the NTSB files where not rib stitching did not end well on experimental aircraft. I do not think any of them have involved Kitfox. Tried and true? NTSB files? Easy decision for me.

On the Martin Clips, looks like a good system for a metal ribbed aircraft - a person is going to have to decide if Martin clips will work in wood - you have the possibility of rot if the holes necessary for the clips are not well sealed; also, I would ask the Martin Clip People for technical assistance regarding if the thickness of the capstrips (1/8") would allow a good enough grip.

There is a litmus test - contact the person who will be your DAR see what she/he thinks.

Tried and true vs saving a few hours on construction? In the end it is the builders call. Each person has to live with his/her choices.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

It was not that hard to learn and did not seem to take too long to do. There is a video on eaa web site. We even put fake ones on the fuel tanks.
    Dj Series 6

I agree with several of the above statements, thought it would be a real pita but once I started it it was no big deal. I feel good having done it, have no idea if it was really necessary.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I must admit, the more I think about it the more I am swaying toward the rib stitching. Being a person that's only comfortable with over doing it. My initial reason is physical, being the ole back ain't what it use to be, but I am building this one as a keeper ( yea right) and maybe someday going electric once the technology gets there. The Martian Clip would require a rather large hole and may weaken the rib, but I'm still a thinkin. The wife says she will do it if I pay here enough.
    Thanks for the super response.

I just finished the fabric phase of my project and rib stitched the wing ribs. It was not a big deal and actually went pretty fast. My stitches are about 3.25 inches apart. There are only 72 stitches total. Each rib required about 13' of string to avoid multiple starter stitches. No big deal -- Don

My wife actually did stitch our wings. It only cost me a couple of beers.

Rib stitching is easy and you'll be happier that you did. Also, there is an authentic look to stitched fabric that keeps the traditional feel. And as John McBean once said, "I have never looked out at my wing while flying and thought 'boy, I wish I HADN'T stitched my ribs"...
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."