Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel Tank problem. Need some help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fuel Tank problem. Need some help

Need some help from a fiberglass expert.
    Evidently the fittings were put in to tight, resulting in the spider webbing.
    Once I took the fittings out, I can see the cracks run the depth of the threads, (from the inside to the outside of the tank.
    I'm afraid when I put the fittings back in, they will stress and open the cracks.
    My thought (for what it's worth) is to enlarge the existing hole, then make a plug, the same thickness of the tank. Insert the plug, securing it with resign. Then lay over glass, extending past the spider webbing slightly.
    Once all has set up, drill and tap a new hole in the original position for the fitting.
    My explanation probably is confusing, sorry LOL.
    I open to suggestions. Please fire away. My experience with fiber glassing is minimal at best.
    20171015_172922-1-1.jpg

20171015_172922.jpg
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Fuel Tank problem. Need some help

Looks like your wings aren’t covered. I would replace them if it was me.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Looks like your wings aren’t covered. I would replace them if it was me.
    Wings don't have covering on them. In fact, yesterday I even pulled the one fuel tank, which wasn't easy or fun. The other tank I'm assuming is cracked too, but I can't tell because for some reason, the previous builder sprayed the area with zinc chromate. I'm going to clean it off today and see how it looks.
    This a project that I bought. I'm having to replace the front spar in this wing due to corrosion I found after discovering a rats nest in the covered wing. I have the front spar off. It had been stored for a couple years. I removed the covering from both wings to look them over, just to be on the safe side. The other wing looks great, but not sure about the tank yet.
    Last edited by southwind32; 10-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Not sure what they installed them with but you should be able to take a piece of fishing string and get it between the Spar and tank and “floss” through the RTV fairly easily
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yup, that's what I did to replace the tanks. I used .016 diameter safety wire and it took awhile, but worked great.
    Last edited by mr bill; 10-17-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added material

Just looked at the other tank, and it's fine........no cracks at all. I even pressure checked it and everything is good. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to replace the one tank that has the cracks.........already have it out so no problems replacing it.