I have an older 5, s/n S98020146. My QA stickers on the flaperons are dated 05/09/94 ??

It has the .065 spars and 1 1/4 front carry thru tube.
I called kitfox and verified the numbers.

A few thoughts on an older kit -

I would be concerned with how the plane was stored and look very closely for corrosion. Jmho - UNLESS you get a smoking deal and don't mind spending a lot more time sorting thru old mouse turd infested boxes and the inevitable missing parts and spending more than a few bucks updating the aircraft with newer, better components. Also - A lot of plastic baggies that held the hardware, the stickers identifying what parts were in the bag had fallen off due to the age. So even MORE fun and TIME deciphering what was what.

My plane was stored in a dry barn. Boxes full of rodent remains. Mud dauber nests in the wings. Chipped powder coat on the frame. A lot of sanding and treating of the surface rust was a pain. The corrosion wicks up under the powder coat and you have to be pretty aggressive in tracking it all down. Big PITA! A few of the raw aluminum stock parts had to be scrapped do to filiform corrosion. Wing spars and flaperons had no corrosion (a miracle! )and were treated and coated with Alodine. The lift struts received a lot of scrutiny. Scoped them internally and they were good. Still had to treat inside and out as with the frame with Corroseal rust converter.

Unless your prepared to do a LOT of extra work and spend more TIME, I would put in an order for a new one and use the backlog time to pay for it. The value of getting your kit fresh from the factory with all the latest improvements cannot be underestimated.

In my case - YES I did look over the kit very well. Yes - I got a smoking deal. Yes - I was well versed into treating and repairing corrosion from my naval aviation background so I wasn't scared off by some surface rust. Yes - I wished many times, today even, that I should have just bought a new kit! lol. As the Mrs. would say - I'm just a hard case and don't know any better.

All complaining aside I'm enjoying this ride so much and really enjoy all the people involved here and with Kitfox. The Factory support has been the best. What other kit plane mfgr. provides support after 30+ years? Kitfox does.

Please just be careful and have fun no mater which way you end up going.

All the best!