Frustrating.... On Saturday I changed the oil, filter and the fuel filter. I had purchased 3 replacement fuel filters based on good advice here. The original filter seemed to be working OK, but it had a problem prior, so just to be safe (maintenance induced problem coming) I replaced it. A real mess any time the system is pulled apart as there is no way I can see to keep from a lot of fuel spilling. I put the system together with the new filter and checked for leaks. The entry point of the filter would not stop leaking. I tried multiple time to pull it apart and re-seat, no luck. So I pulled another new filter and put it in. It sealed. Threw the other away. The pressure on pump 1 was in the 45 range. Seemed a little high, but in the green. The 2nd pump would put the system in yellow. I flew the plane for a while, running on the single pump one. It ran fine.

Yesterday I took my wife to Fredricksburg for lunch. All was well on the outbound trip. But 10 minutes in to the return the fuel pressure was in and out of yellow. Then it went red and Lane A light and the "land the plane" warning came on. My wife was concerned, but not seeing me get too worried helped her. I had to continually back off of the throttle to keep the RPM's down. I was close enough to my home airport to press on while keeping safety airports in range. I was able to land without a problem and on the ground turned the engine off and back on. The fault had cleared and the fuel pressure was back down to 44.5 or so. I noticed that using the pump 2 rather than 1 brought the pressure down to the middle range. Both pumps on would hit the yellow.

So... I am thinking the filter I had originally been running in the plane may have failed allowing the pressure to go down. The new one seems to just be too fine to allow proper flow. Yes, I could have accumulated trash in that short of time (1hr). But considering I effectively flushed the system multiple times by taking it apart, does not seem likely.

I could just run on pump 2 at the lower pressure and likely be OK. But this just does not seem to be working right. As a safety measure the fuel filter seems to be causing in-flight problems more than solving them. Any one else seeing anything like this? Suggestions?