Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 327 sticks out too far

Default Re: Garmin 327 sticks out too far

As Dave states.
    By now you have probably cut the panel opening to allow you to slide your tray in from the front. I undercut my panel and the two tabs are what is touching the back of the panel. Only my radio fits through the panel opening.
    Eddie

Josh,

In your last picture, the unit appears to possibly be fully & properly seated in the tray. However, it looks like your tray may be different than mine - I also have a 327. I don't believe that mine has the 2 little tabs sticking out. Perhaps you can see what mine looks like from the following 2 pictures. My transponder is mounted above my comm radio because I prefer it that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey John, Your panel looks good and you and Josh are looking dangerously close to finishing your projects! - I always follow you guys because you were both up and running and gave me great support during my build which I will always appreciate. It will be great to see you both flying.

Just a thought - have you trial fitted the two forward support struts for the top of the panel forward to make sure there is no interference with your instruments?
    If not, could be worth doing.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Josh,

In your last picture, the unit appears to possibly be fully & properly seated in the tray. However, it looks like your tray may be different than mine - I also have a 327. I don't believe that mine has the 2 little tabs sticking out. Perhaps you can see what mine looks like from the following 2 pictures. My transponder is mounted above my comm radio because I prefer it that way.
    Hi John,

Looks like the tray I have is an older style which may be why it's not lining up the same. I have some ideas to make it work. At the end of the day it's only for aesthetics.

Thanks Ross, I'm shooting for around May for a first flight. Gives me all winter to pick away at the daunting electrical then a couple months to tie up loose ends. Then I should have enough time to work out the kinks before heading to Oshkosh as a proud builder!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Just a thought - have you trial fitted the two forward support struts for the top of the panel forward to make sure there is no interference with your instruments?
    If not, could be worth doing.

cheers

r
    I'm not sure if your question was directed at me, Ross, but I'm well beyond that point now. My panel is completely installed, windshield is in, and glareshield is trimmed & fitted. I'm trying to decide what to cover it with now.

Josh, I think you are right. My transponder tray seems to be made of a different type of metal also. Yours looks like aluminum, but mine appears to be maybe thin s.s.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Ross, if you were talking to I planned to move the panel support to accomdiate the tray.

John I really like your flanged panel. Eligant solution for adding rigidity and giving the glare shield something to mount to.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    John I really like your flanged panel. Eligant solution for adding rigidity and giving the glare shield something to mount to.
    Totally agree with Josh. So much so that I'm going to do the same thing. Hope you don't mind me plagiarising your idea John ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

That flanged panel does look great. Could someone with the knowledge explain how that would be formed?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    That flanged panel does look great. Could someone with the knowledge explain how that would be formed?
    On closer inspection, it looks like John added a piece of angle the whole way around.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Think you're right Josh. Zooming way in you can pick out a seam on the left side of the top photo. And the second shows the cut wedges as it bends. If I squint real hard, it there may be solid rivets mounting the flange. Always nice to get a glimpse of the details on John's build. Then he'll drop by and, "Aw shucks, just an idea I was messing with." Must be all of the experience and patience built up from his Thorp build.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X