Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you use to seal the foam on the rudder tip?

Default Re: What did you use to seal the foam on the rudder tip?

At first I did the Hysol over bare foam. When the horizontal tip got hit with a light tap of hangar rash it shattered a golf ball size area and required surgery. Reasoning the horizontal tip will probably see more unintentional contact in the future I went for a little more protection.

The new tips consist of balsa wood covered with two layers of 4 oz. Fiberglas cloth saturated with West System epoxy. A little body filler and some sanding completed the job. The tip can now withstand a much harder blow if someone says "oops!... Sorry"

The West System epoxy can withstand more heat than any fabric and will not soften when covering the tips.

John P

Good move John. My next one will be Balsa as well. The foam is not the best. That is why I have used Balsa on anything else that the manual has mentioned foam on i.e. lift strut fairing trailing edge.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    At first I did the Hysol over bare foam. When the horizontal tip got hit with a light tap of hangar rash it shattered a golf ball size area and required surgery. Reasoning the horizontal tip will probably see more unintentional contact in the future I went for a little more protection.

The new tips consist of balsa wood covered with two layers of 4 oz. Fiberglas cloth saturated with West System epoxy. A little body filler and some sanding completed the job. The tip can now withstand a much harder blow if someone says "oops!... Sorry"

The West System epoxy can withstand more heat than any fabric and will not soften when covering the tips.

John P
    I've never done any fiberglass work, but I've seen a couple of You Tube Videos, and doesn't look to bad.
    I take it, you used a solid block of balsa and trimmed and sanded it to the shape you wanted? I assume a little under size since it will be built up a little with fiberglass and resign?
    Where do you get a block of balsa wood that size?

If you glassed over the foam, wouldn't the fiberglass make a fairly strong shield over the foam to protect against minor bumps? or is balsa better then foam?
    Any help you can throw my way is appreciated. Thanks
    Brian

I also used balsa on the tips of the horizontal and elevator for the same hangar rash reasons. Any hobby shop has balsa blocks and if you cannot get one thick enough just glue two blocks together. I just epoxy varnished mine, but I like the fiberglass idea. The only place I used that foam was the top of the rudder and vertical; out of harms way.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

2 in x 3 in x 36 inch balsa boards
    available from Aircraft Spruce

They sell 2 in boards up to 6 inches wide

John P