Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obstacle on Runway!?

Default Obstacle on Runway!?

Has anybody had a obstacle on runway?

For two weeks I was very surprised, when an other pilot at holdingpoint gives me the warning, that a deer is standing on runway, which I haven't seen until now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9DP9HKffxo

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

Default Re: Obstacle on Runway!?

And you still managed to put the nose wheel on the center line! Very good sir!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I had to slowly swerve around some sandhill cranes while landing a couple of weeks ago. They just refused to move. Unfortunately i didnt have the gopro on.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Deer and cattle a few times. Cattle are the worst as it takes several low level passes to herd them far enough away that they don't wander back before you can get landed and stopped.

Oh, then there was that time at Johnson Creek, Idaho when a low wing airplane and high wing airplane decided to mate on short final and made an ugly pile of airplane parts on the threshold in the backcountry, so everyone had to land long, over the pile.

The best ever was early one morning when my flying buddy and I were setting up for a two plane landing in a meadow on the top of the 8,500 ft mountain right behind my house. All of a sudden, on short final we realized a grizzly bear had taken over the meadow and was on patrol, crossing right where we were going to land. We decided it prudent to just fly in circles above the meadow until Mr. Grizz decided to leave. Then we landed, had our morning coffee while on full alert, then got out of there.
    Last edited by SkySteve; 08-26-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have my own grass strip up here in northern Mn. Not that uncommon to have deer on the runway. I always overfly the field to check for deer. Lots of times I've had to buzz over their heads to chase them off. It's been a bit better lately though, timber wolves have moved into the area, and the deer population is decreasing or moving out. Saw a wolf about a week ago in my yard when I pulled in at night. Caught him in the headlights about 200' from the house. JImChuk

Jim,
    Sounds like it might be a good idea to thin the wolf pack.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

At one of my wife's previous jobs, one of their Lears hit a deer at V1
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Jim,
    Sounds like it might be a good idea to thin the wolf pack.
    About a month ago, a guy who lives about 2 miles from me had his dog chewed up in his yard by a couple of wolves. He saw it all and was screaming at the wolves for a bit before they took off. Big vet bill to save the dog. The DNR had a trapper come in and he got 2 wolves right away, then he had to go further north where some people were loosing calves to other wolves. JImChuk

Its not uncommon to see coyotes on or near runways in the western states. They seem to like locating their dens on airport property. A PA-28 was pretty well banged up after colliding with one during a night landing. However, they aren't all bad as they do keep the rabbit and rodent population at the airport in check.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Plenty of 'roos around some of the strips I go to and it normally requires a pass down the runway to get them to clear off. They like a couple of the golf courses I hack around as well. They find the safest place to stand and watch me is right by the flag because they're intelligent little buggers and know my ball is going nowhere near them. Emus are funny to watch when they scatter off a strip

I remember watching a KC130 hitting a squadron of deer who decided to hang out on the runway at Cherry Point (NC). No sooner had the aircraft cleared the runway than the ranger was there in his ute (pick up), chucking them in the back for 'examination'.....in the smoking room no doubt.