Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obstacle on Runway!?

Default Re: Obstacle on Runway!?

Had a close call years ago with my Dad's Varga. On take off what I thought were a couple of black birds setting way down on the runway turned out to be three very large Turkey Vultures. Two went on way and the third went the other way. I dipped a wing, stabbed the rudder and kind of slipped through them. Turns out they were having a snack on the centerline that someone else had hit. A quick radio call to a friend on the field with a shovel took care of the problem by the time we came back.

Yeah, as Paul said, plenty of roos here at Mt Beauty and often land over the top of them. I have had many funny experiences with them in the outback - taxiing down the runway to scare them off, returning to the TO point, turn around and they are all back where they were! Cattle too in the outback strips. And Sheep. And recently had 18 emus run out and across the strip just after landing. So far no hits! But certainly needs a low level run down the runway first in outback airstrips!

cheers

r
    just took this out my lounge room window - they are not scared to come close around here!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I nailed a turkey a few years ago on my buddy's grass strip. There were 15 or so young ones with a couple of hens. They ran for their lives when I took off but came right back. On my landing approach they scattered again but just as I was flaring the ones that went right decided they wanted to follow those that went left. I was committed by then and hoped I had enough height but I guess it just wasn't his (or her) day. They were about the size of an average chicken so no damage, (not to the Kitfox anyway). I've seen lots of deer on grass strips. Usually they run away but sometimes they just stand there. Everything seems to like to come out to graze late afternoon.

The back window of my garage face right down the runway, and when I'm working in there, I'm often glancing down the runway as I work. Today, I saw 5 deer on the runway over a couple of hours or less. Rained all day, so no flying. JImChuk

Elk in a state park were very hard to scare away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ok I guess I will have to tell my story. This happened at KAST Astoria/Warrenton airport. We had a small business jet taking off and the pilot didn't see a small heard of elk at the far end of the runway. He was ready to rotate when he hit a large bull. The jet was completely destroyed but nobody on board was hurt. The elk exploded into a million pieces about the size of a fifty cent piece. Then came a million birds mostly seagulls and crows. In about an hours time they gobbled up that entire 800 lb elk. Soon after the FAA decided to put up a 12' high elk fence all around the airport. There have been no more close encounters with elk and airplanes but the place now feels like a high security area with that fence.

Thumbs up Re: Obstacle on Runway!?

Nice storys "thumps up"

At sunny days it is very difficult to find in gemany an airstrip without any traffic, there is almost no chance
    to see an animal on runway. It was my first time in the last 14 years.
    I think, in your big country and great landscape is it more possible to "enjoy" this wildlife-situation than here .

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Olle1975 View Post
    Nice storys "thumps up"

At sunny days it is very difficult to find in gemany an airstrip without any traffic, there is almost no chance
    to see an animal on runway. It was my first time in the last 14 years.
    I think, in your big country and great landscape is it more possible to "enjoy" this wildlife-situation than here .

Olaf
    You have no idea! Sometimes the "wildlife" are my neighbors.
    Jay