Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tow Bar & Introduction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tow Bar & Introduction

Hello!

Two reasons for post, one to introduce myself, and two to seek some advice and expertise.

I am a military pilot stationed up north, and have been in and around aviation since I was a boy. My grandfather and father in law are both owners/builders and by exposure, have pushed me to purchase my first aircraft!

I am a helicopter pilot by trade, but have an extensive background in fixed wing as well. A couple of years ago, after a long deployment, and after flying had become a "job" to me, my father in law pushed me to take his newly purchased Kitfox around the patch. I was hesitant at first, as there was no dual instruction (single seat) and we pulled the damn thing to the local field with his hatch back. The rest is history. I was in love. It really brought something back into the flying equation that had been missing after a couple thousand hours of military aviation.

Which brings me to my next subject. I am currently looking to purchase an S7, and have a couple of transportation/dimension questions. I didn't realize it back then, but part of the charm the Kitfox brings to the table is the portability.

I live three miles from the local grass strip. It's all paved, low traffic, and the local police allow any manner of vehicle on the road (from ATVs to farm machinery). I would like to tow the Kitfox to the field (daylight only) and by pulling it with my truck. I want to fabricate something along the line of the pictured tow apparatus, but obviously customize it to my application.

So....I know there is a ton of wisdom, and experience on this board (I've been lurking for a year) and would like to hear your thoughts.

1) Daylight only
    2) Low traffic
    3) 45 and below
    4) Local police are excellent and do not care
    5) Summer only solution while I customize an enclosed, long distance trailer for my next change of station.

6) Could someone measure from the front of the main landing gear tire to the rear with wings folded this weekend or when the chance presents itself?

Okay....Please let the comments flow.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to meeting/talking to you guys in the coming months.

-Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images