Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kick back

Default Re: Kick back

I don't know the details,but one of our flying group had similar issues.The local smoke wrangler(electrician) installed two small toggle switches that were turned on(or off?)once the engine started.smooth starts from then on.

Good news new battery installed. Bad news no change. Carbs were synced about 3 hrs ago. I will try adjusting my start procedures to meet the methods some of you have suggested. Will check carbs over again and check the wiring on the soft start modules. Stay tuned and keep ideas coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just curious, why would the starting method differ on a Model 4 vs. Model 7 as long as we are talking about the same 912uls engine?
    I was wondering the same thing. I did install the soft start mod. It does help alot! guessing it reduces the startup shake by 30% or so. I pull out the throttle completely out, pull the choke, leave 1 mag on, 1 mag off, start engine and then advance throttle once it fires then turning on mag. The tricky part is adding throttle just at the right time.

Patrick, kitfox 6 , 912 uls 100 hp

Arrived at Rotech. Did some testing and determined a sprag clutch and HD starter were required. So repairs are done and engine is back on. Test first thing in morning...will keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hope that solves your issues Mic.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Goods news. It fired right up. Purrs like always. Things I learnt. Rotech is top notch. They let me work along side as it was being done. The special tools that were needed prevents others from being able to do it. The tolerance of the fit is mind boggling. Amazing it would even start with how the old sprag clutch looked. Regular starter spun at 210 rpm, new HD starter spins at 340 rpm...big increase. The soft start flywheel and module really are amazing. Seen it on the test stand with a strobe light really shows how it works. Yes the parts are expensive but Rotech gave me a discount
    Just happy to be up and flying again once this spring storm blows over. Any other questions I'd be happy to answer

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Glad to hear you got it fixed up
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Very good news. Sorry your checkbook took a hit but sounds worth the expense.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi Mic
    Glad to hear things are working out. One thing about this "flying habit" that is common to the oilfield and possibly farming is that you just have to keep throwing money at it until it works. You engine, Me avionics.
    Maybe if we have a good streak of weather this summer I will get out your way again. Safe trip home.
    Cheers
    Don