Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 800 E-TEC

Default Rotax 800 E-TEC

I was wondering if anyone has evaluated the Rotax 800 E-Tec as a potential experimental aircraft engine?

I’m ignorant, and I don’t see a critical down side. Do you know if the 800 E-Tec should not be used?

I like the “concepts” of having pressurized lubrication (potential for pre-lube and pre-heating before engine start), fuel injection, exceptionally easy starting, no plug fouling, wider range of temp tolerance, higher hp and torque, greater fuel efficiency, an 80 lb engine, much quieter (kind of sounds like a tractor), less oil used and no smell, potentially less fragile operation requirements, lots of engines available, a significant aftermarket parts following, current manufacturer commitments to support related spare parts for the future, proven company, internal fogging storage spray, potential for oil pressure boost at higher loading (sustained climb), potential for higher TBO (pre-lube, pre-heat, stressed for 164+ hp on dyno), and capable of atmospheric neutral turbo-charging (just maintaining 15 psia regardless of altitude, not increasing operating pressure).

“BUT” it has more active parts; though they might be extremely reliable (I don’t know).

800 E-Tec Hp to RPM(7100 to 7300 is 130-135 hp and stressed for 164+ hp) (lower RPM figures not found)

http://bikemanperformance.com/media/...build_up_1.jpg

800 E-Tec Torque vs RPM(7100 to 7300 RPM is 98 ft lb; flat/stable with change in aircraft pitch)

Mentioned for use with an in-flight adjustable pitch prop

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/upload...1460031238.jpg

1800 RPM+ at the propeller if Rotax gearbox is compatible
    James Dunn

Default Re: Rotax 800 E-TEC

Interesting
    A few people are converting the Yamaha RX1 which is a four stroke. Lots of power and light. I hear the latest Highlander champ is using one. There is a discussion of a 4cyl yamaha here http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...a-rx1-engines/

Right now I am just enjoying the easy flying of the 912 but I may try a Yami in another project plane.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Most Rotax snowmobile engines don't have the extra material cast onto the crankcase to allow for a gear box to be mounted. I had a Ski Doo for a short time with the 800 CC engine in it. Way to fast for me! Sold it quick. Never did get a good look at the PTO end of the engine. You did get my curiosity up though, so I just now went to see if I could find an engine on ebay that I could look at. Found one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ski-Doo...lYtHMd&vxp=mtr

Don't see how you could mount a gearbox very easily. JImChuk

LOL! the price of that thing is comical. Wholly Cow. That price would almost make it fun just to try to get it into a Kitfox. Certainly there would be much more cost involved in getting it to work with a gearbox and all the other paraphernalia but at first glass I was laughing. 1/10th the cost of my 912iS. I know, I have a whole lot of stuff attached to mine already to make it a true redundant system aircraft engine. No regrets. But I would like to build a Hummel bird someday and this engine would probably work. Fun to day dream. Maybe not, 1/2 a VW motor is pretty small and light compared to this probably.
    Eddie

It is kind of crazy that an entire snowmobile with a 4 stroke or 2 stroke engine sells for way less than the 912 engine alone. Me thinks some one is getting ripped off. Us!JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    It is kind of crazy that an entire snowmobile with a 4 stroke or 2 stroke engine sells for way less than the 912 engine alone. Me thinks some one is getting ripped off. Us!JImChuk
    Lawyers and liability insurance.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Found this end view of the Rotax E-gearbox

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...NVeJKj/$_3.JPG

Looks like as a minimum an adapter plate would be needed, in addition to a coupling.
    Last edited by jamesbdunn; 05-15-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    James Dunn