Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Please convince me...

Default Please convince me...

I built my kit Fox 20 years ago and installed a txp with mode c . I occasionally fly in class b, c, and above 10,000. Now wondering if I should just remove it as those areas will be off limits unless I install ADSB. No more $100 to get transponder checks that are just like a medical in that they tell you the unit is working at the time tested but could fail on the next flight. I would be inclined to keep it if you could self verify with a call to ATC but I'm sure that isn't gonna happen. So...please convince me why I should keep the txp.
    ThanksJimS

Default Re: Please convince me...

Assuming you're not going to install ADSB-out and will avoid the airspace you mentioned, why take out your xponder? You'll still show up on radar and as traffic for those who have ADSB-in.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

So your flying about and the engine quits. You have an ELT which may activate when you smack down in the blind canyon but the ELT antenna, is shadowed by the canyon walls. So in a flash of brilliance you say to your self I will dial in emergency on the transponder while am still at 10,000 where the xpndr will still have good TX and RX capabilities. As your hand reaches for the xpndr buttons you say D----!!. I took the transponder out.

Or, I am going to skim by the class C airspace but there is that pesky mode C veil outside the class C. So I get this indignant letter from FAA requesting I explain why this evil thing happened.

Or, I think I will get flight following for this risky trip I am going on. Whoops the ground radar can't pick up the raw radar returns so no flight following.

I would keep the transponder, after all, if you sell it you will get a penny on the dollar because the 2020 mandate for ads-b is going to flood the market with mode A-C xpndrs.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was venting a bit and you gave me a couple things to consider.
    JimS