Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tire Changing Questions

Default Tire Changing Questions

I am about to change my tires and put a the new 22'" Aeroclassic. I am not mechanically inclined and was hoping for some advice.

I understand how to remove/replace the tire etc,, but what do you use to lift the gear and where do you jack it up? What do you use to lift it?

Anyone have pictures that can share so I can get an idea how it is done?

Can a car jack lift it without a problem or needs to be some type of specific jack?

Thanks
    Alex

Default Re: Tire Changing Questions

For jacking, I just use a common bottle jack, placed up about 12" above the ground on some large wooden blocks. The top of the jack is cushioned with a smaller block of wood placed right under the mounting blocks for the Grove gear-right over the bolt heads. Do one side at a time, and block the other main wheel so it doesn't roll. There are many other ways to do it, and many guys have built neat little gizmos to make it easy. My method just uses common stuff you probably already have laying around.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    For jacking, I just use a common bottle jack, placed up about 12" above the ground on some large wooden blocks. The top of the jack is cushioned with a smaller block of wood placed right under the mounting blocks for the Grove gear-right over the bolt heads. Do one side at a time, and block the other main wheel so it doesn't roll. There are many other ways to do it, and many guys have built neat little gizmos to make it easy. My method just uses common stuff you probably already have laying around.
    I see. 12" is enough to extent the jack all the way up to the gear? Seems like quite a distance for the jack to travel.

Thanks

Similar to what Jim said but I bought a tall bottle jack from McMaster Carr and made a cradle.

If you scroll down you can find a sideways picture I posted.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...t=jack&page=12
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

A saw horse or a solid bench or trestle under the firewall,then lift the tail and place on another saw horse under that.I am wary of a jack under the suspension as there isn't much to sit on,if it slips the wingtip is possibly going to clobber something.If fitting bigger tyres the jack may have to be repositioned so make allowances if jacking from the axle.if jacking on the float mount ,use a solid bit of ply or similar as a slip off the jack may make for a drafty floor

My solution is similar to Dusty's but different. I use the three legged supports for holding cars up for work. They need an extension that was made up from appropriately sized tubing with cushions made of Plastic that fits over the Castle nuts for security. I lift the tail - Model IV about 45 lbs - then have someone else help with positioning the stands under the lift strut bolts. After everything is in place, rock the tail down and secure it with bucket full of sand with tie down straps attached to the side handle.

I have never done it this way, but if additional stability is desired, one side could possibly be done at a time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hey Alex, I'm sure you know but it's worth mentioning just in case, make sure your tire is deflated before you take the split rim apart.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Hey Alex, I'm sure you know but it's worth mentioning just in case, make sure your tire is deflated before you take the split rim apart.
    Yes. We did that.

Thanks for the tips. Ended up using a block of wood and jack it up. It worked out really well. Felt solid.

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

Now, any tips and tricks with the new bigger tires?

Thanks
    Alex