Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Kitfox News

Default Colorado Kitfox News

We had a wonderful visit for a few days from a couple of my heroes in the Kitfox world - Lowell Fitt ("Highwing") and his lovely wife Kay from California, and Mark Ferkin (builder of multiple Kitfox aircraft, and others) from Idaho. My buddy Stan Specht ("sourdostan") hosted them at his home. We had a lot of fun traveling around to see the builders of 4 other Kitfox projects (plus my own). We have quite a few projects as well as flying aircraft in the area... I can think of 12 off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. Thanks to everyone for making the last few days so enjoyable!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Colorado Kitfox News

John, thanks so much for coming down to Colorado Springs. It was great to see you again and meet Lowell, Mark and Stan. Looking forward to seeing you all at Oshkosh!

Eric

It was great meeting the Colorado guys and seeing some fantastic projects. It was curious that the projects perfectly illustrated from almost new to almost finished. Earlier on the trip a visit to Homedale was a treat as I was able to chat with John and many of his staff and see some remarkable innovations.. Our next stop wil be K21d where we will meet Dave S. And see his flying SS. This will complete the builds of SSs from beginning to flying. A great sdventure!
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Sounds like a great trip Lowell. I heard Kay is now retired. Congrats to Kay.

Had lots of fun at your fly ins Lowell. The good old days.

Hope to see some of the gang at AirVenture this year.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks ,Steve,
    You mentioned Kay retiring. Yes, last September - 44 years at United Airlines as a flight attendant. It got me thinking. A quick calculation adjusted for vacation days, taxi time and other non in flight time, suggests about 27,000 flight hours and a little over 13 million miles plus at least once exceeding the speed of sound : -)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Those are incredible numbers Lowell. 13 million miles and 44 years with one company. Amazing career and that is a lot of time away from home.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That's a pretty good explanation for making the marriage last this long.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    That's a pretty good explanation for making the marriage last this long.
    Still laughing. I tell people we have been married 37 years going on 18.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell & Kay made it to "Minnesnowta" following their adventures in Colorado. Fortunately the snow Monday night only amounted to one inch which disappeared on the second day of their visit. Monday was Kitfox day with Lowell and I seeing two KF V Aircraft based at 21D in addition to our S7. Our wives spent the later part of the day at the St Paul Conservatory (considerably more tropical).

My friend Eric was at the field and was completing his installation of his ADS-B system - that's the first red aircraft with the cowl off. Eric very generously provided me stick time in his Kitfox before I did my first flight in ours. I am very grateful to Eric for that and try very hard to pay it forward anytime I can help another person with their aeronautical interests.

Our next stop was at my hangar to have Lowell check out our S7.

Last Kitfox stop was was at friend Jim's hangar where he keeps his Model V. Jim's plane is unique in several ways. It is a light sport with a continental and has no electrical system - like the classic cubs so it is exempt from Class B Equipment. The airplane also has an aluminum gear which is noticeably longer legged than the more common grove aluminum gear. I understand this gear was available as an option over a limited period of time. Jim is also a person I am grateful to as he was kind enough to help me move my plane from the house, after it was completed, to the airport in some horribly cold weather - which turned to a nasty snow storm the next day (which I was working like to devil to beat).

Tuesday we visited another friend at a private airport who has classic airplanes including a Taylorcraft and a Fairchild - both of which were built long before I was born. (OK...no comments now about "I didn't know they made airplanes THAT long ago!") The T-Craft was just getting it's annual completed, including the strut inspection.

One surprise we did not expect to experience was seeing a Beech Mentor land at the field ....I mean, a REALLY shiny polished Beach Mentor; and, then Julie Clark pops out of the canopy!....She just got back from Sun and Fun where she put on some fantastic air shows - guessing there were some kitfoxers attending the show who would have seen her perform. In the last photo, Julie is the person in the middle facing Lowell and Kay.

I'd like to thank Lowell for the honor of visiting with him and his wife; and, I keep thinking of the tremendous friendships we develop within our aviation interests...precious
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave S; 04-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

That's a great report, Dave! I echo the sentiments of your last comment!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime