Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912Is Terminal Position Assurance?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 912Is Terminal Position Assurance?

Also, there are two sizes of pins in the connector kit. One must be careful to install them in the correct sockets. The crimping tool has separate anvils for the two sizes.

Good morning Eric.
    I apologize if I have lead you astray but It was my Vertical Power connector that I saw being employed in the video. It is a very similar connector and I believe its the same type. So, If its any help you can see what it is I saw at
    http://verticalpower.com/vp-x/. You will find the second Vimeo video titled Wiring your vertical power. The connector pinning will be found at 3min 10sec.
    Eddie

Thanks Eddie. I now see what you mean. I was able to remove the white filler pin and I actually pulled the white part of the connector up just a little, then inserted the pin. There is only one way the pin should go in & if done right will snap into place. Thanks for the help!

Neville, I checked all the pins that came with the HIC A and HIC B connectors and they are all the same. I understand that the X3 connector is completely different. Is that what you were referring to?

Eric

The end of the pin which will be crimped to a wire comes in two sizes in order to accept different wire sizes. Refer to installation manual on page 26 of 24-00-00, electrical section. Some wires are AWG 16 and others are AWG 18. The crimper is also available at Allied for +/- $ 70.00. It has two sets of anvils for the different size pins. PS. My reference to the manual page location is from a page of Edition 1/Rev1 of 07/01.2014. The page may be different in the latest revision

Neville, I now see what your talking about. Very subtle for sure. My manual is a few months older than yours and does not mention it, so I will try to see if I can find a later edition. I do have the tool required so I should be set. Thanks for letting me know about that, I don't think I would have noticed it otherwise.

Eric

One last thing, Arrow electronics sells pins by the piece and Molex sells connectors by the piece. I know this due to a mistake I made.

got a part# for the pins? I want extras

any tips for installing pins?

I will be starting soon

David Kelm

question

do I pull the white inner part out, insert pins, then push back in place?

ready to start that part

Thanks
    David Kelm

The installation manual in effect in 2013 when I did my engine stated;

1. push white block out (towards the face which mates with the engine side connector) . It will go a short distance and stop.

2. set all pins with crimped wires into proper numbered slots.

3.Hold all pins from backing out and push white block back in. Test that they are all locked in.

The revised manual now in effect (rev 3 Nov 2015) has the following instructions:

1. press in white block and hold with point of needle nose pliers.

2. push pin with crimped wire into proper position until it locks into place. continue with remaining pins.

The new instructions sound easier to do. If you look at the wire side of the connector you will see a grove. orientate the pin so that the proper side of the pin mates with the grove. Other wise it will not lock in place properly and may not be removable. That's when you get to buy a new connector. I speak from experience.