Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Valve cover O-rings, anyone know of a substitute

Default Valve cover O-rings, anyone know of a substitute

Has anyone found a place to get the metric O-rings that are on the valve covers? I have had a very slight weeping from my covers since I purchased the plane. I tried a very slight coat of RTV gasket goop for the time being but am replacing the fuel lines and cleaning the carbs so I figure I may as well get the seeping fixed also.

I googled and found a few places that sell the metric zed rings but I'm not at all sure of the material or hardness number. The sizes I see in the Lockwood catalog are 6.4x1.8 ($8.01) and 105x2.5 ($28.46) which I pesonally think is insane for an O-ring. That's $150 to do the 4 covers! Yeah, call me a cheapskate, but that is just nuts! Am I missing something here?

Ok, a little update. I also cross posted this on the RANS site and a guy on there gave me a couple of suggestions. The part numbers are very similar to the CPS catalog.

http://apriliasuperstore.com/i-11710...ng-105x25.html

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dProduct=27042

I can order 4 of them for half the price of one on the CPS/LEAF catalog. I'm just curious if they are the same size, maybe too big or small.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 03-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Default Re: Valve cover O-rings, anyone know of a substitute

If it were me, I would get the correct metric size in a Viton material. These should be readily available from several o-ring suppliers. Viton is good for most hydrocarbon oils and fuels and has a fairly high temp rating.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Pete,
    Thanks, but I had checked that thread before I posted my inquiry. I did find a place that has the size needed but don't want to post anymore until I get them in hand. They were shipped today (backordered). They were a couple bucks each, so a set of 4, and shipping were less than the cost of just one from the Rotax resellers. I'll post my findings when I get them and make sure they fit.

On the subject of oil leaks:

My 912ULS is approaching 1,000 hours now. I'm seeing an oil leak at the back of the engine. Appears to be coming from behind the dynamo cover. Just a few drops after each flight. I'm guessing it's the rear crankshaft seal. Anyone else seen this happen?? Engine has been dry as bone up until now..

Update... The O-rings arrived and they fit perfectly!!

I got them from AF1Racing and they were a couple bucks each. Sure beats the near $30 that Rotax re-sellers charge.

I can't take the credit for finding them though. A very nice guy on the Ransclan found the site with the same measurement as the Rotax ones, and suggest I might try them.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dProduct=27042