Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 coolant

Default Rotax 912 coolant

Just hung my 912 onto my IV-1200. Now making a cowl for the radiator out of fiberglass ( left over from a boat project ). Will be hooking the coolant lines next. Question, what coolant is recommended??
    Bud

Default Re: Rotax 912 coolant

I always use a Dexcool (orange) antifreeze in my Rotax. Carry over from the 2 stroke days. Dexcool is silicate free and easier on the seals and stuff. A friend uses Evans Waterless in his 912. I hear it runs warmer but that is the Evans advantage.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Bud

Started out with Evans at the time our plane was built - at the time that was Rotax's recommendation - Rotax later identified both 100% Evans or ethylene glycol mixed with water as acceptable - I went to 60% Dexcool at the time the original radiator was replaced and experienced exactly what Norm indicated - Dexcool runs cooler - about 20 degrees F cooler in our case.

Figured it would be easier to find dexcool than Evans if it was ever needed on a trip.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dexcool is my choice for ease of maintenance and as said above, if there is a problem away from home, Evans will be impossible to find.

As a side note, be sure to change your coolant every two years or so. Dexcool reacts with aluminum over time becoming acidic and will eventually erode away the inside of the coolant passages and small parts in the water pump. Changing the coolant periodically prevents this damage.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Dexcool it is. My sincere thanks.
    By the way, I have reviewed several years worth of posts and think this site is priceless. Looking forward to licensing this project soon. I am moving up on 600 hours of work on the fuselage. Fabric yet to do. Then it's on to the wings.
    I plan to license as an amateur homebuilt to qualify myself as aircraft repairman for this plane. Did this for a plans built 25 years ago and enjoyed doing my own mods and inspections.. is this a good idea for a plane I may not keep for any more than a couple years?? 82nd birthday coming soon.
    Bud

Bud, your having the repairman cert (or not) for the plane will not impact it's future past your ownership.

It will allow you to forgo having to pay an A&P to sign off the annual condition inspection. (Cost me $250 this year, but I don't mind a second set of eyes looking at my plane). Without the cert, you can still do whatever mods or maintenance you want to do.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have been uneasy about being able to qualify for the repairman cert when putting together an airplane from a kit partly done by a previous owner.. And, I have components including engine and instrument panel forward from a wreck all of which does not compare to the plane I built from plans.
    Your observation that maintenance and mods would still be possible is reassuring. I would like to hear from others about their experience with licensing categories. That should probably be a different discussion category ( thread ? ).
    Bud

I licensed my SS7 as EAB (experimental amateur built), but I am an A&P anyway, so I do my own inspections.

Dick B