Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox IV – What to do about damaged fabric and aileron?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox IV – What to do about damaged fabric and aileron?

Please find attached a few pictures of the damages on a Kitfox, which is up for sale in Florida. I had already told the seller a few weeks ago that I am not interested anymore, because of these damages. I figured that I would rather spend more and buy a nicer plane. Yesterday, I however wondered if I might have been too quick with my decision.

The engine already has over 1200 hours on it, the panel and the interior look a little bit rough and it shows quite a bit of tear and wear all around. Then again, it would be <$20K and looks from a few yards away pretty nice. If I could get the fabric properly repaired, I could start flying it right away and upgrade things as I please over the next few years.

May I ask you to have a look at the attached pictures? I figured that I could put a patch on the worn fabric at the door frame and re-do the long patch on the belly. Any objections?

What however concerns me is the apparently failing glue of the seam on the wing. Is there a way to properly fix it? Do you believe this is an indication that other seams might have also been insufficiently glued?
    What about the damage on the flaperon? It doesn’t look like much, but it was certainly exposed to quite a bit force. I am therefore wondering, if the flaperon hinges and the underlying structure might have also been damaged?
    Attached Images Attached Images