Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Old NIB 582 mod 90

Default Old NIB 582 mod 90

I have a NIB 582 grey head from about 1992. I am obviously going to tear it down to inspect for corrosion, but what else do I need to do besides replacing all the seals? Would I need a new crankshaft?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Default Re: Old NIB 582 mod 90

I had my crank replaced by LEAF before it ever flew on a similar vintage engine based on Rotax recommendation. It wasn't cheap but gave me some peace of mind when approaching my first flight. I also had the rotary valve shaft seal upgraded to the newer ceramic type, eliminating a known weak point.

I don't think you'll find a consensus opinion on this topic, so in the end you'll have to decide what you're comfortable with.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Would also recommend a good electrical system inspection as well.

How was the engine stored ? Do you suspect that it would have internal rust from being stored in a humid place ? Just my opinion but I'd be looking to sell it as-is without cracking it open into pieces. Once you do that the value of it being NIB and never fooled with is gone. I'd place some ads in various locations and see if it generates any interest. Guys that use the 582's on small airboats would maybe be interested. They wouldn't care it's been sitting as long as there is a reasonable assumption it's NIB good. Heck I know a few guys who would put it on their UL as it sits and hope for the best HaaHaa. Probably be a better engine than the one they are currently running.

Put the proceeds towards a fresh new engine with a warranty. It's my understanding there a few improvements on the new Blue Heads other than just the updated water pump seal. A few calls to various expert rebuilders would give the answers.

On a related note I ran across a nearly new smaller Rotax that had been stored in an attic for 15 years. After a quick going over it fired right up and ran like a swiss watch.

Hello!

What is NIB?

My greyhead is from 1991, first engine start 1995, last 2001 with 16 hrs - 11 years break and stored in Hangar. 2012 I arrived,
    started again with new tubes, fuel and oil - RUNS! (look at KOTM)
    After 25 hrs, I opened the engine, clean pistons, rings and replace all seals - crankshaft looks fine without rust, change to fullsyn Oil.
    Now it has 170 hrs and runs perfect.

I think, you could store this engine a very long time, if it's stored with oil-conservation.

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

NIB - New In Box

This means the engine was brand new, still in the original packaging.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thank you!
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

Thanks for all the replies. I really don't think there will be any corrosion in the engine, so I think I will give it a shot with a re-seal and through inspection. The engine was stored inside a house in Iowa its entire life. I was the first person to open the box just now. All the ports are still sealed up.

Jeff

All the ports are still sealed up
    Thats very good!

If you pull the cylinder for changing seals, you will have a good look at the crankshaft. I think, it will be in good condition.

If you operate this engine below it's max. temps (Water max. 175F / EGT max 1200F), you will have a lot of fun with it.

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel