Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax 582 looses power

Default Re: Rotax 582 looses power

Quote Originally Posted by Olle1975 View Post
    Any News?

Olaf
    The problem with power loss was in the propeller pitch. It was set at 19 degrees. At first I changed it to 13 degrees and it would over rev. Finally change to 16.5 degrees and now it does a lot better. I still don't see the 1200 to 1500 ft. per min. climb the spec sheet says it should have. It's
    more like 700 to 900 fpm.

Spec sheet was probably optimistic at best. and maybe with a super light plane and pilot with not much fuel on board. When did a manufacturer ever stretch the truth??? JImChuk

What prop are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by TY2068 View Post
    What prop are you using ?
    It has a GSC 3 blade wood prop 68".
    Last edited by nsudduth; 01-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.

I'm new to the Kitfox and 582's so I've taken a keen interest in learning why a problem like this can occur. What I've discovered is this problem (mysterious RPM decrease upon take-off roll) apparently manifests itself the same exact way but reportedly can happen for totally different reasons. One guy finds it's a prop problem, another finds out it's a faulty tachometer, yet another discovers some electrical issue with a coil, wire, plug or pick-up. Others report a good carb cleaning, rebuild or slight adjustment killed their Gremlin. One fellow reported a cable slack-adjustment issue to be the culprit. I thought I might even read where it happened to one guy on Tuesdays so he started flying on Wednesday.

From my research I've come to this one solid conclusion. If it happens to me I'm going to scream loudly OH CRAP among other things !!!

Be sure to let us know what you find.
    It was the prop not pitched correctly. Change from 19 degrees to 16.5
    degrees. Now have good rpms 6200 climb out.

Did the prop move on its own slightly over time or were you making some adjustments when the rpm drop problem surfaced ?

My Kitfox had a 68" GSC when I purchased it also. It was already past the expected service life and I just didn't like the looks of its condition. After some research and talking to a few guys I went with the ground adjust IVO 72" medium 2-blade. Easy adjust, smooth and great performance.

Did the prop move on its own slightly over time or were you making some adjustments when the rpm drop problem surfaced ?

My Kitfox had a 68" GSC when I purchased it also. It was already past the expected service life and I just didn't like the looks of its condition. After some research and talking to a few guys I went with the ground adjust IVO 72" medium 2-blade. Easy adjust, smooth and great performance.
    Is your plane 582 powered?
    Which gear box?
    Why not the light weight three blade IVO?

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Yes, 582 with C-Box 3:1. Ivo advised to not use the Ultralight 3-Blade on the 3:1 C because of some issue they discovered. I asked how many 2-Blade 70-72 mediums they had sold for Kitfox's and it was quite a few. So knowing none the better that's what I got. I wanted to try a P-tip as I have many hours behind them on other aircraft but didn't want the long wait for one. I'm happy with the prop so far. Really makes dialing in your desired static rpm a snap.