Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 looses power

Default Rotax 582 looses power

I have a Kitfox model IV with a 582 engine. It looses about a thousand rpm's
    when taking off. After I apply full power rpm's come up to 6000 to 6400 as
    soon aircraft starts moving foward rpm's drop to 5000.

I have checked compression good on both cyl. (120lb). checked carburetors.
    Replaced all fuel lines. rebuilt pulse fuel pump. Same condition with electric fuel pump on or off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Norton Sudduth

Default Re: Rotax 582 looses power

Sounds like same problem reported a while back.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...?t=6911&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by TY2068 View Post
    Sounds like same problem reported a while back.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...?t=6911&page=3
    What is a safe way to adjust the air mixture with the engine running?

Quote Originally Posted by nsudduth View Post
    What is a safe way to adjust the air mixture with the engine running?
    I have checked the air screw adjustment. it is set correct. i have rechecked all jets in carbs. everything checks ok. i can't find a problem with carbs. still loosing 1000 rpms when start take off roll.

What prop are you running? Was it running fine before, and then this started happening by it's self, or did you do any adjusting or changes before this problem started to happen? JimChuk

I had this happen when I increased prop pitch. My theory was that the prop stalls at zero airspeed, then hooks up when you start to move, but because of the pitch bogs the motor. We're talking 1/2 degree of prop pitch did it. I was using a 68" three blade Warp taper.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

I'm new to the Kitfox and 582's so I've taken a keen interest in learning why a problem like this can occur. What I've discovered is this problem (mysterious RPM decrease upon take-off roll) apparently manifests itself the same exact way but reportedly can happen for totally different reasons. One guy finds it's a prop problem, another finds out it's a faulty tachometer, yet another discovers some electrical issue with a coil, wire, plug or pick-up. Others report a good carb cleaning, rebuild or slight adjustment killed their Gremlin. One fellow reported a cable slack-adjustment issue to be the culprit. I thought I might even read where it happened to one guy on Tuesdays so he started flying on Wednesday.

From my research I've come to this one solid conclusion. If it happens to me I'm going to scream loudly OH CRAP among other things !!!

Be sure to let us know what you find.

I had the same situation as Guy Buchanan.

My IVO on my 582 was running fine, until I decided to add a bit more pitch one day when I had a long trip to do. There was an rpm drop on take off, enough to make me abort. I tried again and it did the same. I returned the pitch to what it was and it was then fine. I then added the pitch back and it did the same.

I got bored of fiddling so I just departed and did my trip.

One of my buddys had a similar problem with a 447. It was on the nose of a little plans built taildragger. After a good warmup he'd go full throttle and it would rev right up. I don't remember the static rpm but backoff and go full throttle the second time and it wouldn't go past about about 4000. Cut it off and let it sit a while, start it up and it would make good rpm. Back off and go full again and again it wouldn't go past about 4000. He's pretty experienced with Rotax engines and tried about everything and nothing worked. He had a spare 447 so he mounted it and fired it up. Guess what! Same result. It had a wood, fixed pitch prop that was supposed to be the correct pitch for a 447. For some reason it would rev up on the first rev but not after that. The only answer we could come up with was maybe the 447 lacked the torque to pull the prop through the midrange consistantly. Why it would rev up on the 1st pull but would not repeat is still a mystery. Anyway, a prop change took care of the problem. James Thomas

Any News?

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel