Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

Default Re: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Sorry for getting off the original building question this thread was started with.

Paul
    Pssht! It's the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
    Pssht! It's the internet!
    I'm glad you don't mind StuBob. I kinda laugh when any of us go off in different directions... keeps it interesting at least

I do wish I could be more helpful to you regarding your original building question, but I tend to buy project airplanes and finish or redo them. I like the Rans S7 after flying one on amphibs for about 35 hours, but I still like my Kitfox more. I find the Kitfox design more refined and a bit more efficient. The best way to prove that statement is to youtube "Kitfox aerobatics" and to watch an 80 hp 130 mph Kitfox perform (with a not very efficient wood prop no less).

Not that we should think of our Kitfoxes as acro planes, but that video does a really good job proving just how capable the Kitfox is. I also think the Kitfox is a much sexier looking airplane. At typical seaplane gatherings its a rare case for someone not to approach me about buying my airplane as they are so impressed seeing it fly, can hardly believe the low cost of operation and aquisition, and just love how it looks. Unfortunately for them I have no plan to sell it anytime soon.

Fact check after some communications with friends:

On our Winnemucca trip September 15, 2000
    Slippery Model IV
    Flight Time - 2.9 hours Logged
    Fuel burn - 7.7 gallons per still existing receipt rather than 7.2 from memory or maybe a poorly written note.
    gallons Per Hour 2.66 Vs. the 2.40 at the 7.2 gallons
    Fuel price for those interested $2.54 per Gallon Total invoiced $19.63
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Well doesn't that figure! Guess I will be doing some re calculations for how many trips to Phoenix I'm going to get to make in my 912is. What a shame. I'll have to make twice as many than what I figured my budget Would allow!
    Now, if could just get these AP servos installed with all these Holliday interruptions and all.
    Eddie

When I get questioned about how little fuel my Kitfox burns I'm used to getting some really funny looks. They are just amazed how little fuel it burns and yet it performs so well.

To add to the fun I typically then respond with "It burns so little fuel that sometimes I swear it's making fuel? Do you think that's possible? You know, like regenerative brakes on a hybrid car...like maybe when I'm in a long descent with the power at idle?" Usually at that point they don't know what to think. It's always good fun to keep them wondering.

And the low fuel burn is only part of it. It never ceases to amaze me that my Kitfox amphib can do pretty much everything my buddy can with his 350k Husky amphib. And I do that on about a fifth of what he spends for fuel. Plus I have in my plane about what he paid in taxes to buy his Husky. Granted I've had my Kitfox for quite a while, so I have less $ in it than more current Kitfoxes. But in my opinion, even at new prices it would still be an amazing value compared to it's certified factory built competition.

Oh, and Lowell, all of us that have planes like yours with the same engine can vouche for your numbers. Your numbers are really not that uncommon regardless of what some may think. Can you imagine what the fuel numbers might be if we had the super-miserly 912iS? (Like Eddie) With one of those you'd probably think something was drastically wrong if you saw numbers higher than 3 gph.

Back to that Husky, there is something he can do that I can't...he can back up. His new reversing MT prop is pretty cool around the dock, but that prop was another 37k (gulp!). Now don't get me wrong, I love his new Husky. It's a mega-cool airplane.

But so is my Kitfox for a whole, whole lot less. And who knows? it might even be making gas at times...
    Last edited by av8rps; 12-05-2016 at 07:45 PM.

This is meaningless observation, but it appears to me that the RANS guys are somewhat less effusive when talking about their airplanes.

This is meaningless observation, but it appears to me that the RANS guys are somewhat less effusive when talking about their airplanes.

I don't believe that observation is meaningless. That passion comes from somewhere. As a PROSPECTIVE buyer, I feel it is reasonable to assume that the ardor is created by the aircraft itself. I have been giving serious consideration to KF, Rans and possibly even an Avid. At this point in time, my first choice is a Kitfox Model IV Classic or newer. Due, in part, to the enthusiasm that I see in the KF community.

Here is two cents worth. I am very grateful for the completeness of this SS7 kit. Taking today into consideration, I was at Aircraft Spruce, I have to purchase hardware to install my autopilot servos. Which length bolts? Should I buy a rod end bearing with a built in stud? What size exactly is the clamp I will need to secure to the airframe, (what size was the tube Im mounting too?). Whew, If I had to do that for all this stuff that Kitfox supplies I am not sure this project would be so recreational for me. Thank You McBeans! Its definitely rewarding to get the job done but I am certainly glad I don't need to do this kind of stuff all the time.

That brings up a point. I'm pretty sure the talk I heard of incomplete kits hearkens to a pre-McBean age. When did they take over? And can anyone speak to whether the kits have changed in that respect?

I really don't see it that way. I am on both sights since I own both brands (did not build either of them) and I see both sites very similar. Maybe a lot more activity on this site but I believe that might be do to their being way more KF than RANS owners. Both seem to be just as excited about their planes as most any 'type' forum. Heck, I own a 172 also and even those guys get excited! Guess what? I took up my 172 yesterday for an hour and everytime I fly it I remember why I have kept it for nearly 30 years. It is an honest reliable plane that has taken me all over the US. I can also fly it is much worse conditions than I would ever want to fly the light wing loading KF/RANS types.