Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: O200 oil cooler & filter adapter

Default O200 oil cooler & filter adapter

I know its not popular but wondering if anyone has knowledge about an o200 oil cooler. I see aircraft spruce has the aero classics 8000075 and the NDM 20002a. What i dont see is the oil filter sandwich adapter. The only place i see this is from stevesaircraft. I'll call them monday but cant believe no one else carries this. They are available for automotive but not sure if size is correct. I kind of want this yesterday.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: O200 oil cooler & filter adapter

For future reference to those interested, i installed an EARL'S p/n 510ERL. $28 from Summit racing. Leak check is good. Ops check due once i finish my air shroud for the cooler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

whats an "oil filter sandwich adapter"??
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Its goes behind the oil filter and allows you to run an in and out oil hose to the oil cooler.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Be cautious of automotive sandwich adapters.

A sandwich adapter takes oil pressure from the oil pump and shunts it to a remote oil cooler. The oil is then routed back to the adapter to flow through the oil filter. Sandwich adapters put the pump, cooler and filter in series.

It is imperative that the adapter has a bypass pressure relief valve. When the oil temp is cold the oil will bypass the cooler and flow directly through the adapter then through the filter and on to the oil galleys for engine lubrication.

Cold oil will not flow through the cooler at start-up. Without a bypass valve the oil galleys receive minimum flow and the engine may be starved of oil.

The solution is to make sure you have a bypass pressure relief valve in the adapter and only use oil filters that have internal bypass valves. These two valves insure oil flow to the pressure galleys.

Many engines have adjustable pressure relief valves on the engine block to set maximum engine oil pressure. Thinking more is better some people crank up the pressure way above the recommended setting. If the pressure is too high the other relief valves will be forced into bypass all the time. This will result in either less cooling, less filtering, or both.

As a side note,
    Most of the K&N filters have internal bypass valves. K&N data sheets show which filters have a bypass and those that do not.

John p

Thanks John. The sandwich adapter has a spring and ball which i believe is the bypass. And i think my ch48108 filter has the bypass. So hopefully i'm good. I'll be watching my pressure and temp closely once complete. Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Spring and ball are a bypass. That's good. The 108 filter has a bypass as well. You're good to go.

John p

Just an update. I went with the NDM 20002A oil cooler mounted on the left side of the firewall with a 3" scat tube and a homemade duct pushing air through. And the Earls sandwich adapter and -6 lines. I also cut out some of the bottom of the cowling, aft side. I think this helped greatly with the air flow.
    My oil temp now runs at 190.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Hi Ken,

I'm back, looking for some help. Are you in the air yet?
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Yes Tommy i'm in the air. The plane flys great.
    How can i help you?
    I sent you a pm.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind