Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Corvair in a Kitfox

Default Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

This is the new motor mount from SPA. It fits perfectly. They also made sure to keep the shock mount for the nose wheel option. The old bolts DO NOT fit however. Some are too short. I ordered four AN4-34A Undrilled from aircraft spruce. That's what works for me. The original lower bolt is fine. I cannot thank SPA enough for all they did on that mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great to hear you are making progress!!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I have a beautiful 1965 turbo charged Corvair... The only problem I have with it is the factory fuel pump. They fail. In fact, they love to fail. I believe that these failures are Clark's Covair profit margin. I suggest an electric fuel pump.... Maybe two of them!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Hehe yeah they thought of that a long time ago. The original fuel pump has long since been done away with. All the proper installs use aircraft grade fuel pumps as does mine. Mine will only be used for takeoff and landing and gravity feed for cruise.

It's been a long couple of days and there is a little more progress. This is the completed firewall before engine installation. In the upper right hand corner is the air oil separator. The vent line (not complete yet) is routed basically to the bottom and will be secured later. That part comes from the O200 installation. Just below that is the firewall pass through for the spark lead. This will carry to the center post on the distributor. The fuel pass through is located center above the low engine mount. It runs up through the gascolator and to the fuel pump, from there it proceeds to the carburetor. Just above the pump to the left is the pass through for the battery lead for the starter. And directly right from that is the sensor wire pass through. Sensors currently include oil pressure, temperature, rpm, egt, cht. The starter solenoid wire is also included here. On the back side of the firewall I have mounted the two coils. Those in turn go to a coil switcher mounted next to them and then on to the pass through which you can see in the front. I have located a two blade warp drive prop. It is 68" diameter. I will try to find a spinner but for now it is as good as it is going to get.
    Last edited by mtcicon; 08-30-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Plus a new set of shoes. Just in time for the new motor.

Looks like you're making great progress Matt!

Do you possibly have any pictures of your coil install behind the firewall?

Bob Krause

Sorry bob. I go over again tomorrow and get pics then. I'll try and remember to post those. After reading more of the corvair install manual last night I might actually be taking those off and reinforcing the mount. W.W. emphasizes that the coil mount be strong enough to handle a lot of abuse and I am critical of my work. I think it needs another plate on there to help it out. Those coils weigh a bit and as you can see top dead center of the firewall install, the three bolts that hold them to the firewall are prob not enough.

Ok bob I have those pics. The coils will be hopefully reinforced tomorrow. I was not able to work on that today. I took the firewall off and my sweety finished the rivets on the fire wall for me today. She is so awesome. While she was doing that I worked on a little project of my own. I wanted proper power for my gadgets when I fly. I use the iPad, iPhone, and stratus. I don't want a cigarette plug with a bunch of crap coming out of it so I found three flush mount USB ports that charge up to 2.1 amp 5v. (Bear in mind that that is not 2.1amp 12v. It is much less). I still have the cigarette plug for unexpected or passenger items but all my normal stuff will be nicely plugged in. For the coils you can see they are located just up from the center console. The coil switcher is over on the left side and the pass through is between them. (In red)

Thanks for the additional pictures Matt. Looks like a really clean installation on both sides of the firewall.

Bob