Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 RA-045V Air Filter Throat Separates

Default 912 RA-045V Air Filter Throat Separates

Does anyone have experience with the KLN RA-045V air filter shaking itself apart? This is my second air filter that has destroyed itself in about 200 hours of service. My engine is cocked to the left leaving the right air filter with about a 2 inch gap between the firewall and the flat back part of the air filter. What appears to happen is when the engine starts and stops it shakes the air filter causing excessive stress on the juncture where the air intake throat meets the flat part of the filter. After a couple of hundred hours a crack developed, and if left unattended i'm sure the air filter will eventually have detached itself from the throat and been left hanging by the safety wire. This is not a problem for the left side air filter since it touches the firewall which minimizes the flexing moment.

Any ideas on how to solve this. I ordered a new air filter from Lockwood aviation but meanwhile I repaired the old air filter by applying liquid tape across the crack, and then I drilled holes and attach a second safety wire opposite the attach point for the original safety wire. Anyone else encountered this problem?
    Regards
    John

Default Re: 912 RA-045V Air Filter Throat Separates

image.jpeg

John, I have the same filters on my model 4 with the 912 uls 100 hp.
    They are original since 2003 and 900 plus hours. No cracking.
    I glued some foam to the firewall that fills the gap between firewall and the back of the filter so it can not shake as much during start up. The foam is cut the same size/shape as the back of the filter. To clean the filter, the foam compresses enough to allow for removal.
    I'll asume you have your Bing carbs synced to reduce shaking.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: 912 RA-045V Air Filter Throat Separates

on the model 4 912 you want this filter. RU2700 K & N. It's smaller and it won't vibrate off or cause the carbs to fall off. been using this for about 2000 hrs on both the 912ul and uls motors. caution: when cleaning any K&N, clean the filter and then use the oil sparingly. On this filter no more then 1 drop of oil per pleat. OVER OILING WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF THE ENGINE.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop