Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Header tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Header tank

I would like to increase the size of my header tank in my avid. I have a behind the seat tube type header that is about 3"x15ish" so it does not hold much fuel. I would like to put something in the 1.5-2 gallon range if I could and I am looking for input as to where I might find or have made a tank. Kitfox sells one but does not say how big it is. Thanks for any input
    Mark

Default Re: Header tank

I believe the Kitfox tank is a little over 1 gallon. May be just what you need. A larger header tank really has little extra value other than a reserve when the fuel drops below the wing tank sight gauges. Cubs have been getting along fine for years with nothing more than a tee in the line.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ya never gave it any thought until the other day when I was being tossed in some wind and ran the header dry. It was a long 15 seconds with the right wing raised waiting for the engine to perk back up. That was why I was thinking a bigger tank might be a good thing. Didn't realize I was flying right wing low long enough for it to happen on the way back to the airport. lesson learned (if below 5 gallons reserve watch my flight attitude even in wind.) Low time pilot lesson check.
    Mark

Interesting scenario.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes it was, just figured up fuel burn to approx header tank capacity as about 6 min to empty. When I landed I drained almost 4 gallons before I trailered home. My left tank drains faster than the right and I had a 12 knot crosswind plus gusts that was keeping me busy. Can't complain though I look at it as a very good lesson and one I won't be forgetting any time. Landed with what should have been plenty of fuel if I was not flying wing low. I probably was, over the course of 30 min flying more right wing low than high and the header just didn't have time to fill up what I was using. As soon as I got the wing up and kept it there I got some fuel in the header. The fuel pump got the engine back up and never even burped the rest of the trip back (7 miles). It might possibly be something else but seems AWFULLY coincidental. new fuel filters all the way around 3 weeks ago (7hrs), sumped prior to flight and carbs as clean as new after the flight.

Mark,

Glad you survived the fuel deal....more excitement than what a person needs.

Sounds like you have multiple fuel filters...curious if that is true, where they are located and what type they are. I know an Avid may be different; our kitfox uses a single filter just before the mechanical fuel pump on the Rotax engine.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN