Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Electrical problem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Electrical problem

I started this thread a while back with this statement, but it became a discussion about heat dissipation. a worthy subject but ... I'm still down.
    "My 80HP 912 Rotax had a mag check failure at run up.
    First mag drop was almost nill, second mag was an erratic and rough running engine. Classic symptom of a module failure. I pulled the 4pin connectors and swapped them, no change. I pulled the ignition leads from the panel and swapped them and was able to swap the failure from mag 2 to mag 1. So I thought I had isolated the problem to the ignition wire from the panel/mag switch.
    Figured this was the problem so I ran a new wire and bullet connector from the connection, test was negative. Did the same for the other bullet connector and still having the same issue. I did a continuity test on the switches and both checked out. "Then ...

I ordered another CDI (700.00) and while putting it in realized the state of the electrical system at the engine compartment was a mess.

the bullet connectors that connect ignition and modules for the Rotax side of things are not something you can buy at NAPA. After much searching and phone calling to avionics and aviation supply houses, I learned that the connector is a motorcycle part. I am discussing the purchase of some bullet connectors with a vintage motorcycle parts supplier on line. Anyone ever see this problem before? I'm going to put new bullet connectors on the ignition wires from the switch and the red wires coming out of the engine. I bought a ratcheting crimper but I will need to peel back some of the metal braid at the wires coming from the motor. the photos are of the bullet connectors. They are hard to find. What have you done?
    thanks. When I have fixed this, I will put on a new ROTAX oil filter to see if that stops the oil from the pipe problem. Different thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images