Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I use seperate switches for mags?

Default Re: Should I use seperate switches for mags?

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

DF4, I tried your shutdown method today and I like it! Quite smooth.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi all
    Having separate module switches allows you crank over a bit until oil pressure builds. These startups should improve engine life. On first startup of the day I usually pull the enricher during the oil pressure cranking phase.
    Also, on shut down well timed throttle and module shut off works well.
    Over 650 hours on a UL now with no problems.
    Don

I agree, I just found recently that if I increase revs a little it is a smoother shut down. I also allow oil p to come up before starting. Tom

The following is not pontificating, just friendly hangar flying. FWIW.

When an ignition module or magneto coil fails in flight, very few pilots will notice it. A small drop in RPM signaling the failure is usually met with a throttle correction and the pilot continues the flight. Only when the mag fails with a noticeable roughness does the pilot consider doing a mag check in flight.

Almost all pilots do an engine run up and mag check before takeoff. But how many do an end of flight ignition check?

Here's the scenario... You taxi in and shut down the engine in the usual way. Either pulling the mixture, or turning off the ignitions at the same time. The engine shuts down as expected. Unknown is one of the mags/modules has failed. It runs just fine on the remaining ignition.

You park the airplane and look forward to the big fly in just five days away. Wouldn't it be nice to know now about that bad mag/module now instead of getting the bad news during your next run up?

There's no need to do a run up at the end of the flight. Just do a quick mag check at idle power. You'll avoid bLowing dirt around the ramp and if a mag is inop, you'll prevent a backfire.

For engines that shut down by pulling the mixture be sure to check the both off position, too.

I hope this will prevent someone from cancelling a flight because they didn't know they had a bad ignition at the end of the last flight.

John P

John,

I think there is a great deal of wisdom in your comments. I recall back in primary training the instructors were wanting people to do that very thing.....not sure everyone did.....one reason was to find if there was a broken P lead, the other reason was to know one mag had not failed during operation and gone unnoticed.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

That was good advice, John. I've had the habit of doing that since I learned to fly in the early '70s. Additionally, I always do a post-flight check in the hangar. I want the airplane to be ready to go when I am. 99% of the time I can't leave the airplane after a flight without cleaning the bugs off also... drives some of my friends crazy.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I do the same John, cleaning bugs and dirt postflight. When you do this it makes you look the whole airplane over like a mini preflight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS