Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A Little Help In Planning

Default A Little Help In Planning

I have a strong interest in the Kitfox 7SS. I haven't flown for a couple of years and never in a tail dragger. I have a couple of questions:

1. I have built a Murphy Rebel and an Arion Lightning, so the build process doesn't scare me, I do wonder if Kitfox has a progressive plan like other companies do, start with the tail section, move on to the fuselage, wings, etc...? I can't afford the whole kit in one shot. Can I buy it in parts?

2. I am a big guy, 280 lbs, any issues with that?

3. How do I find other builders/owners in my area?

Thanks in advance
    Jim

Default Re: A Little Help In Planning

I live about an hour west of you, Marysville, Pa. Email me direct for more info about your questions.

Jim

flybyjim@gmail.com

[QUOTE=Flybyjim;58291]I live about an hour west of you, Marysville, Pa. Email me direct for more info about your questions.

Jim

Thanks Jim

I got your PM and will give you a call tomorrow.

Jim

I did it in stages:
    -Started with the wings (you can't totally finish them or cover them until you get the fuselage for rigging purposes).
    -Then did the fuselage, which included the tail.
    -Then the landing gear.
    -Then the firewall forward & engine.
    -Then avionics & wiring.

This broke up the cost into manageable chunks for me. It was not a Kitfox building plan sequence, just my own plan. Most people start with the fuselage, but it is the most expensive chunk. Financially it worked better for me to start with the wings; there is a lot of work on them to keep you busy. I did not get the quick-build wings to save money. If you do get the quick-build wings it probably doesn't make much sense to get them first because there isn't a whole lot to do on them before you will need the fuselage to finish them up.

One thing I found helpful was to buy the complete build manual first. You can then read thru it and get a good feel for the work involved in each stage before committing what to buy in what order.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim, good advice.