Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Info needed for Rotec radial install in Model 4

Default Re: Info needed for Rotec radial install in Model 4

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Lynn,
    I do remember the olden days. I think you have proven that you can make things work. I'd just say - Go for it.
    Lowell
    Hi Lowell-
    The last time I took on a challange, it was the floats....and they sort of worked (if I could have got the flight instructor out of the plane, they would have worked better )
    Now this idea has been proven so I have no doubt that the radial will be lots of fun to play with.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Lynn........ Highwing's comment "I do remember the olden days." came back to rest on my shoulders today as my wife and I got back to the home 'port with our Kitfox to find some radial powered warbirds (AT-6's) practicing up for their July 4th formation and overflights & smoke they do in conjunction with our liberty celebrations. Had to stick around and watch & listen...particularily thinking about how these engines powered the many craft which had a lot to do with why we celebrate our days of patriotism such as this weekend.

There really is nothing like the sound & fire of these engines starting up and taking off. I'll agree....it's a lot of nostalgia mixed with testosterone poisoning that really thrills a person at the sound of a radial. I don't have one but am grateful for those who do.

You know.....as a group, we are really about trying things and experimenting with what strikes our fancy; and thank heavens we don't all do the same thing That's what keeps it interesting.

There is grace, gratitude and satisfaction in persuing our dreams and I seriously doubt that any of us would rest on our deathbed when we are 110 years and say: "gee I wish I hadn't built the plane I always wanted" - not gonna happen.

Persue you dreams....
    One of the sad things about "lunching" ny engine is that I can't take part in the local fly-overs celebrating the holiday.

Yes I agree...leave no stone unturned, even the heavy ones. : )

Lynn

Just curious....how does one address the need for a forward sweep that's needed when putting the heavier engine up front. My manuals says I had to decide on the engine type before I set up for drilling the spar where it connects to the airframe. I assumed I could never go to a continental or Lycoming after I've set up the wing for the lighter engines.

Lynn, I just talked breifly with Bill Prokes (builder of the model 4 photo that I posted as "inspiration").
    Bill said he designed the motor mount for his model 4 and sent Paul at Rotec the drawings. He mentioned Paul made the motor mount and Bill said he did a great job.
    If I recall, Paul mounted a radial on a model 3 he was building.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Just curious....how does one address the need for a forward sweep that's needed when putting the heavier engine up front. My manuals says I had to decide on the engine type before I set up for drilling the spar where it connects to the airframe. I assumed I could never go to a continental or Lycoming after I've set up the wing for the lighter engines.
    In my case, the plane was already flying, so if I have to sweep the wings, I'll drill off the original tabs that are attached to the wing spar, make new ones, and transfer the spar rivet holes to the new tabs, then sneak up on the 5/16" clevis pin holes, after establishing the new wing location. Then, the butt rib must be made to assume the new angle of the root rib...again, the present rivets will need to be drilled out and new hole locations made. At least this is how I envision the job. But I'm wondering if this sweep is really necessary.

Lynn

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Lynn, I just talked breifly with Bill Prokes (builder of the model 4 photo that I posted as "inspiration").
    Bill said he designed the motor mount for his model 4 and sent Paul at Rotec the drawings. He mentioned Paul made the motor mount and Bill said he did a great job.
    If I recall, Paul mounted a radial on a model 3 he was building.
    Thanks...I'm having Paul/Rotec make my mount also, but I need the firewall-to-engine dimension to clear an air cleaner. If I already had the engine, I'd design the mount myself, as I have all the dimensions but that one. But Rotec sent me a drawing with blank dimensions, and I filled in all the "blanks" but one. I have asked them to review other Model 4 mounts that they have built, and see what those folks used for the missing dimension.
    I have access to a friend's Rotec 2800 and I was able to measure his engine/mount combo, and I think I'm reasonably close to what I will need. Now to wait for them (Rotec) to get back to me...do they observe July 4th over in the land of Oz? : )

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    I hope not. But I just removed two Odyssey PC680 batteries (one was for the Electroair ignition...overkill, but when one battery[probably the main] would go belly up, I'd buy a new one, use it in the ignition position, and switch the present ign. battery to the main location. The thinking was to use the freshest battery in the all-important ignition position, and if the other couldn't start the engine, no big deal, I could always swap 'em back.

All this to say I've got 30 lbs. of battery ready to position over or near the tailwheel if/when the radial engine requires it.

Pretty sure this hasn't much to do with the swept wing topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Lynn