Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Zipper Discussion

Default More Zipper Discussion

The Zipper kit was mentioned; I am curious, does anyone know what the compression ratio becomes with the Zipper kit on a 912ul and on a 912uls? The Zipper kit increases the bore but not the stroke, right?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: 912 maximum continous power setting

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    I fly a 4-1200 912ul on amphib floats with the IVO ULTRALIGHT 3 blade prop and agree the manifold pressure gauge isn't really needed. I also have a Lake Amibian with a constant speed prop, and there the mp guage is absolutely needed. But for some reason or other, the Rotax mp gauge doesn't move as much, so I pretty much never use it.

Rather, I listen to the engine to know if I am overloading or underloading it. I find 5,000 rpm to be a nice speed for my engine overall and find it runs smoothest there. But I believe every 912 has its "sweet spot", so just play around until you determine that with your Kitfox.

I think the 912 and the 4 were a match made in heaven...it's that good. I keep thinking I should replace my 80 hp 912ul with a 100 hp 912s, or maybe just Zipper kit my UL? But even though I'm on heavy amphib floats it does really good with that 80 hp 912 assisted by the IVO IFA. . I even have a spare 100 hp 912s laying around, but just don't know if it will make my plane that much better? So I haven't got real serious about changing it out.

Can anyone that changed their 912ul Model 4 to a 912uls comment on that? Maybe I'm not knowing what I'm missing?
    the difference when I changed out mine was OMG.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    The Zipper kit was mentioned; I am curious, does anyone know what the compression ratio becomes with the Zipper kit on a 912ul and on a 912uls? The Zipper kit increases the bore but not the stroke, right?
    The Zipper (1484cc) replaces the Pistons and cylinders, increasing the bore only. The bottom end of the engine is not touched.

There are high (11:1) compression and low (9.7:1) compression kits available. The low compression kit allows the continued use of 87 octane fuel to make about 105 hp, where the high compression requires 92 octane, and a hd starter and slipper clutch in the gearbox are recommended, which will produce about 115 hp.

There is also a 1622cc kit which requires some machine work and change of the cam to achieve 125 hp.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for the input on going to the higher hp engine on the Model 4.

I guess if it is that obvious it would probably be even more so on my Kitfox since I'm dragging around an additional 200 lbs of floats, not to mention all the additional drag. I'm honestly surprised it is so significant as my plane even on floats is like a ro ketship compared to most other float planes.

Larry, did you install your Zipper kit by yourself? Did you do the 105 or the 115? I really like my 912ul, so I've been hesitant to install a big bore kit in it. But you got me thinking...

87 vs 92 oct fuel shouldn't be a big deal as generally I always buy premium fuel anyhow, as non ethanol 87 octane isn't easy to find.

Default Re: More Zipper Discussion

(I moved these posts out of the other discussion so we don't hijack any further)

My engine is the low compression 105 hp version. I didn't want to upgrade the starter and add the slipper clutch.

Yes, I did the Zipper upgrade myself. Pretty easy, actually. Here's a couple photos.

Here is the engine stripped of the OEM parts.
    BB1.jpg

New Pistons and Cylinders.
    BB2.jpg

Fully assembled long block.
    BB3.jpg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I talked to a friend today, by coincidence. He has the low compression Zipper kit. I watched as Hal installed it last year and asked him today how he liked it. Big smile. Great! I was mostly interested in issues. None.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Larry,

First, thanks for moving this off the other thread I was hijacking. All of us here are lucky to have such great moderators!

And 2nd, thanks for the great info. I think I'm gonna do the same thing to mine since everyone is having such good luck with theirs. And my pushrod tubes are leaking a bit anyhow, so I will be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I can hardly wait now until next year at the fall seaplane fly in where the only planes that can beat me off the water are two Rans S-7's with 100 hp 912's. If I gain 24 hp (or even better 34 hp ) I will literally "Blow them away", as I'm almost able to beat them now. That will be priceless...

I will probably do what you did and simplify things by just going 105 hp on my 912ul on my Kitfox. And if I'm as impressed as you are with that Zipper kit mod, later I'll bump my Highlander to the 115 hp as that already has the slipper clutch and HD starter. And honestly, when it's on amphibs it is nearly 100 lbs heavier than my Kitfox (bigger, heavier floats, and my Highlander airframe is 45 lbs heavier), so it could use some extra power.

It truly is amazing how well these 912's work on our planes, and all you can do with them, all while burning very little car gas. I just love these planes...
    Last edited by av8rps; 06-17-2016 at 04:31 PM.

I'm also looking at the 105 hp version for my 912UL...80HP. One thing that I have to consider is I have the ultra light IVO IFA prop which has a 100HP limit. With the zipper kit being 105HP, a new medium prop would be recommended. I talked to IVO and they agreed that the heavier prop would be best. Sooooo, while the zipper kit would be great on my Speedster, I'm going to stick with what I have......which is really all I need....

Just a thought..

Russ
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

Good point regarding the prop,so far the only point against the zipper!
    Would 5 hp over the prop limet be a deal breaker?

Cool Re: More Zipper Discussion

IVO seems to think so. But I think it's just lawyer talk.
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS