Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Kitfox owner

Default Re: New Kitfox owner

John- Forgive my ignorance as I didn't build the plane and I'm not out at the hangar but I do have the build manual with me to reference, but what is the easiest way to remove the pedals? The manual makes it look as though there are going to be nuts on the bottom side of the brackets that I won't have access to now that the airplane is covered. What am I missing? Thanks!
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

The fabric doesn't go all the way to the front of the fuselage. The nuts are covered by the bottom of your firewall. You should be able to reach in there and get them. I will see if I can find a picture for you.

If there is still powder coat inside the tubes, use gasket remover to clean it out. Make sure you mask off any areas you don't want the powder coat removed.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh! I'm going out to the airport tomorrow and I will take a closer look. Somethings seem more difficult than they are until I dig into it. I appreciate your advice!
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Mark,
    I think this is what Josh is referring to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks! I was able to get the rudder pedals loosened up pretty easily.

I am about to remove the motor to replace the motor mounts and have easier access to replace the the coolant lines.

Is it necessary or just prudent to remove the prop before doing so? It is an Ifa ivo with Murle Williams through the hub mod.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

I'm not familiar with that prop. With my AirMaster with the 2" extension and the long bolts make for a very time consuming task to install. Add the fact that the crush washers are only reusable once, we are only going to remove that thing when absolutely necessary. If you are going to have the engine on a hoist the whole time or able to make sure the prop wont get damaged, I would say leave it on.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Most props are a pain to remove. The Ivo is the easiest. The key is when you replace it that you get everything back in the exact same place in relation to the prop hub. I have an Ivo IFA prop with the "through the hub" pickup also. I've taken it off many times.

Use a sharpie felt marker and number each blade. Make an indexing mark on the prop hub itself. Mark the orientation of the blades to the crush plate and all spacers and spinner plate, if installed, to the mark on the prop hub so they all go back exactly the same way on the prop hub. Disconnect the prop motor wires. Then remove the prop. Much easier with the prop off.

*** It is recommended that you center the prop with the control switch first before disassembling the prop so there is no pressure on the blade cams and the motor cam follower. You will be able to hear when the blades reach the position where there is no pressure on the blade cams. It is half way through the full travel of the blades from full course to full flat pitch.

Follow Ivo's instructions for torquing the six prop bolts after installation.
    The torque numbers are 200 inch pounds. Ground run the engine for 10 minutes or so after installation then recheck torque to 200 inch pounds . Fly it an hour then recheck. Install 3 new movement indicator stainless strips on the blade hubs.
    Your done.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

200 inch lbs is for the hub face Y bolts.
    The prop blade mounting bolts are to be at 30 ft lbs. check out their website for your prop model instructions.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I was wondering at work today if you had to pull the engine to change the mounts. I'm not at home so I can't look at it but couldn't you loosen them all out, and then remove one at a time, replace it, put your nut back on and move to the next one? Food for thought any how.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

+1

one at a time is completely doable

you should be able to change coolant hoses too