Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I should have specified, that. Sorry, Av8r300.
I also use the Mcfarlane throttle. Some operators are removing the safety springs for full throttle return to solve the control creep during landing phase.
I did this. I have no problem with pushing the throttle to the stops WOT. I have been doing it for about 350 hours.
I also remove my top cowl at the end of the day. I inspect the engine compartment as part of my pre-flight/post flight. It is a 30 second job at most.

So I don't think I'll have a broken cable in my future but, that said, the springs are for the potential broken linkage in a dual carb engine. Removing them defeats a primary safety device in the unlikely event of a broken carb control.

But controlling the plane in a tight landing situation requires full control as well. I prefer not having to fight my plane to the runway.

The smoothness of the throttle operation without the springs is a remarkable plus for throttle control.
I sure do agree, Wheels. The length of extended unsheathed cable at full throttle seems to be short enough, and the cable stiff enough, to work just fine for me. I’m not recommending that anyone else run without those springs, but I know that Paul at Stick & Rudder and many others are running without springs, but he does use a larger diameter, stiffer “heavy duty” cable assembly. The possibility of a broken cable seems to be a rather unlikely event. And anyway, how many other aircraft engines use a spring to pull the throttle in the open direction? I think it’s more likely that the real reason is as Av8r3400 said - to put tension on the flexible cables to remove the hysteresis and help maintain accurate synchronization. I’ve found that my synchronization seems to remain really good throughout my throttle range of movement, and I have the standard type cables, not the heavy duty ones. BTW, I use a CarbMate to sync and check them. I’ve thought of perhaps impregnating that short section of exposed cable with something like super glue, to stiffen it if necessary, but it doesn’t seem to be necessary at this time. My engine is very smooth, and I also recently balanced the prop to 0.05 ips. IMHO, having those springs was a real potential safety of flight issue for me... I hated them.