Carl, Yes the drawings are confusing and not correct. The backing plates on page 59 show all holes, but only one side is rivet holes, the other side is holes for the self-tapping screws you will use. Page 61 is not correct for the airfoiled tail. Use the cut pattern shown on page 63. Don't use the standard tail pattern; it will require way too much bending to get on and off. The pattern on page 63 shows two cuts at right angles to each other; the backing plate only goes on the vertical cut. The horizontal cut doesn't really need a backing plate to stay in position, although I suppose you could put one there if you wanted, but in my experience it is not needed. On the very rear where the access cover screws onto the fiberglass fairing, I highly recommend you reinforce the backside of the fairing with a strip of aluminum (just use Hysol to attach it). This will give those screws something more substantial to tap into and help avoid stripping them out during your frequent removal of these access covers every annual.

While I'm spouting off on suggestions, make sure you put a round inspection cover on the belly of the airplane right under the elevator rear idler arm. Every annual you need to inspect and lube the ball joints and a cover makes it easy-peasy. Wouldn't hurt to also put one under your rear AP servo maybe.