Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

I thought it would be convenient to have the fuselage on a rotisserie for the assembly work but it hasn’t been much of a help. Having it elevated does make it a better work height while seated on the almost obligatory red stool. The tail end is supported by an aluminum strap bolted to the tail gear hole. That end of the rotisserie blocks work on the empennage and I’ll resort to a simpler saw horse approach.

With the tail blocked, I started with Flight Control Installation. I was tired of "getting ready" and, with the plane in the shop, wanted to get on with building. There is enough reaming in this stage to practice before getting to the dreaded holes on the stabilizer and elevator. Bolts didn’t always fit the reamed 3/16” holes so I rolled up little tubes of 220 grit sandpaper and sanded for the final fit. There are plenty of 3/16” holes to ream throughout the project and two 3/16” USA made reamers are in the mail as replacements. Bushings were painless using a long bolt, nut and fender washers as a press.

I’ve been keeping a daily work log, mainly as a reminder of the adventure once the plane is complete. Installing the flap handle will be long remembered. When starting a new section I pull all of the required parts and check them off on the diagram. After making three passes through the fuselage related boxes, looking for the single bolt that mounts the flap handle, I finally remembered I had left it in place after reaming the holes. Then I made repeated searches for the tiny roll pin. It was checked off the inventory sheet but was nowhere to be found. My wife, who invariably takes only a few seconds to find things in the pantry or refrigerator after I’ve given up, made a couple of passes through the bags before throwing up her hands. I wasted over an hour before realizing the Ace Hardware ten minutes down the road would have a stock of roll pins. At $0.11, I bought two so I could drop one on the floor when I got back to the garage. Drilling the 1/16” hole through the detent pin went well and I’m still patting myself on the back. Nice to have a drill press.

Other useful tools during this phase were drift pins and a metal dental pick was helpful with the washers in the control column. I also treated myself to sets of Gearwrench 1/4” and 3/8” sockets as well as their combination wrenches with ratchets in the box end. My ancient Craftsman tools were well worn and it is a treat to have new hand tools.

The parts supplied with the kit was very thorough, right down to zip ties and electrical connectors. The manual is well written with clear diagrams. I’ll agree with those who have describe the work as building a very large, very detailed model airplane. It is worthwhile to think through steps before diving in and very satisfying when something new is completed.

I’m 48 hours into the build and having a great time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X