Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

I specifically recall assembly of the mixer calling for "bearing grease" on the pivot bolts. I can't imagine reapplying every annual. Are people not using bearing grease at these points?
    Eddie

I did, Eddie.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yes, bearing grease on the pivot bolts, and Tri-Flow on the rod ends. I do not regrease the pivot bolts every annual, just check them for free motion.

Like John I also used the "clip nuts" on the access panels. The manual tells you to use them along the top and front, but says to use self tap screws into the weld tabs on the bottom. I found that to be nearly impossible in the thick steel tabs, so I used the clip nuts there also and am glad I did.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Glad to hear you guys did the tinnerman clips on purpose. I did it since I oversized the holes being inattentive during that procedure.
    Eddie

I drilled and tapped the lower tabs.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

For anyone who might stumble on this conversation while searching for information on the tail access plates, John posted detailed photos on his "John's Build" thread. This link will take you to the relevant page.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...3432#post63432
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Mounted the wings and flaperons to make the rigging adjustments before covering. The door alcove on one wall and a window bay on the opposite give just enough room to walk around the plane. Of course, the needed tool is always on the other side of the fuselage. The ubiquitous, "Little Red Shop Stool" gets lots of use sliding back and forth under a wing.

I'm glad I took this sidetrack to rig before covering. It's very easy to reach through the naked fuselage to adjust rods. The downside is the flaperon horns are only secured with clecos and there is some slop. The final adjustment of the connection rods will be made after the flaperons are painted and the horns riveted.

Didn't think to take a picture until the flaperons were removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

looking great Carl.
    I don't understand why we would not be able to pull those flapperon horn rivets at this stage. The holes are drilled and it seems there is no different location that these horns can reside now. Fortunately the control rods are all pretty accessible through the cockpit after cover anyhow.
    Eddie