Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Work started on the center console installation today. While laying on the floor and threading a long 3/16" bit up through the fuselage to match drill the two aft mounting holes I admitted the bit was almost certainly going to drift and the hole wouldn't be close to nicely placed. Taking a clue from the pre-drilled front mounting tabs I unclamped the console and worked on the mounting tabs from the top - dimpling with a center punch, drilling a small starter hole, and finishing with a 3/16" bit. Then it was back to the floor to match drill the console, but now the long bit had a nice starter hole and the job went well.

I'm concerned about the placement of the "detent" assemblies for the flap and adjustable rudder pedal levers. To put off drilling the rivet holes, I decided to assemble the rudder pedal levers - another job involving drilling a 1/16" hole through a stainless rod. For the flap handle I used a piece of wood with a V-notch to secure the rod. Frankly, I think I got lucky to pass through the middle of the rod and not break the tiny bit. Some time in the past I came across the idea to use a block to hold the rod and guide a bit through the center. A scrap piece of 1 x 4 was drilled with a tight fitting hole for the rod. A pre-drilled pilot hole neatly guided the 1/16" bit right through the middle. No doubt this is old hat for many members but I was pleased to have remembered the idea and wanted to pass it along.

Any comments or photos showing the position of the flap and rudder pedal detent assemblies would be appreciated. That's the next job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X