Larry, those are some really good points, and well taken.

For the record, I've always hated the early landing gear design used on Avids and Kitfoxes where they wrap bungees around the bottom of the seat truss. It should have been modified early on to the style of cabane gear like is used on the Super Cub (fyi -the Highlander put the right design on from the word go and has had virtually no issues, and it has been tested extensively by guys like S. Henry). Unfortunately it took the aftermarket companies, and the McBeans STI design to finally provide owners a better cabane style gear for the Kitfox.

And I do agree that even with a good cabane style design, unless you use a gas / hydraulic suspension option, springs or bungees just return any excessive energy into the next bounce. But again, the most commonly used gear in the bush world has used bungee cord forever.

So back to the spring gear. Yes, it is a much easier option to the whole issue overall, but when we talk about absorbing excessive bounce energy, the spring gear has no ability to use a gas shock. So from that perspective the cabane style gear is advantageous.

Of course the cabane style and spring gears have both been used sucessfully for decades, so a lot of this is probably just over analysis to most. So it really is a persons preference. I'm just happy that we now have so many good choices to pick from.

Oh, and I have to admit I'm impressed that Dave gained 10 mph by going to a spring gear. Was his previous gear uncovered? I don't lose 10 mph when I put floats on.