Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 125 hp O200

Default 125 hp O200

I purchased a basket case KF5 a few months back and finally got to the test run phase. The engine was pulled from a 150 30 yrs ago and well the run didn't go so well. Shut down for low oil pressure and max rpm was 1400. So now I get to rebuild. Lycon in Visalia can do the top end and grinds and set the engine up for 125hp as an experimental with port and flow and high compression Pistons. They say this will not effect normal wear parameters or tbo. Anyone have thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Experience? Know a friend of a friend who knew a guy who had an uncle who had one?

Default Re: 125 hp O200

Are the cylinders original? If so, this would be unlikely to make TBO because of head cracking. I would not use the engine in that configuration , unless you install new cylinders. My preference is Superior.

Hi 2x the new cylinders if your spending the money to OH the engine get new cylinders they are an improved design cool better as for the increased HP go for it.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Gotta agree. If you are going down the overhaul road, go with new cylinders.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Hi guys,

I can't take it anymore.

Lycon is one of the best engine shops there is. If they recommend it then take it to the bank and never look back.

If you want to get the most out of any engine you go there.

Jim

As is the case for any engine selection you get a choice of
    Power
    Longevity
    Economy

...pick two.

At this point I'm gonna go with a corvair. SPA in Florida is working on an installation package.

Don't do it you will have a lot of problems I just took out a corvair engine and replaced it with a 0290 did it for a buddy of mine and he had a **** load of problems with it . I hope you like to working on your plane because that is what you are going to be doing. I know there are a lot of guys that will beat me down here but you have been warn. I would rebuild o200 only one guys opinion good luck

If you are going to use a corvair engine, I will have one available shortly that is a William Wynn conversion with the 5th bearing, I am buying a plane -not kitfox- that is about 70% built and it comes with this engine. I did a auto conversion several years ago Geo with raven redrive, I'm not going that route again. I will put a rotax 100hp onto this plane. If your interested PM me.