Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Where's Big John?

Default Where's Big John?

In my never ending quest for power, I try to keep up with any and all things engine related. Just finished rereading through the Big Bore thread and realized I haven't seen Big John post anymore updates or comments on the 1622 with the high performance cam.
    The KF IV I purchased last year has essentially a new engine (912 80HP) and I think it would make a good candidate for such a conversion. I have big ideas and little time or money so I may as well dream.

Default Re: Where's Big John?

So far I'm having fun with my 105 hp Zippered IV...

Way more power than needed in my part of the world.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Where's Big John?

Totally agree on the power we are getting from the 105 HP Zipper kit. My quest is for future flying. The spousal unit and I are getting tired of winter and I highly doubt I will be spending another winter in northern MN. We are currently looking at a few places to winter in the southwest. Having lived and flown down there in the past, the field elevations along with the density alt. in the southwest can be much higher that I fly at up here in cold country.
    I know from experience that naturally aspirated motors can feel pretty lethargic at these higher altitudes. Maybe I am getting the cart way too far ahead of the horse per se, I tend to overthink things most of the time.