Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First Flight - N630PK

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Flight - N630PK

I am happy to report that there is another Kitfox flying! I did the first flight on Saturday and another one today.

My plan for the first flight was to fly for one hour to break in the engine unless there was an obvious issue. The plane took off beautifully and there weren't any problems. I climbed to 5000' (due to a 6000' ceiling) and spent one hour at 75% power. The first landing was a little long because the idle speed was over 1000 RPM and I couldn't slow it down under 70 mph on final.

After that I had a few things to take care of:
    -I lowered the idle speed and was able to do a slower approach today.
    -There were a few drops of oil coming from the oil filter housing where a plug was in an unused hole. The plug has been tighten.
    -The B&C alternator popped the over voltage circuit breaker more than once during the first flight. I will call B&C tomorrow for advice. It may be the regulator because it was indicating 14.5 volts. That seems to be on the high side. I did today's flight entirely on the battery, but this problem needs to get fixed.

Today I did another one hour flight to complete the engine break in. I went up to 6000' since the weather was severe clear. After that I couldn't resist adding two more times around the circuit. I got home just in time to watch the Super Bowl.

My daughter took pictures and video. I'm working on making a video. Here are a few pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016