Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Flight - N630PK

Default Re: First Flight - N630PK

For those of you flying the IO-240 let me know what cruise power settings you are using so we can get a good comparison.

At this point I haven't put the strut fairings on. I have them and hope to get them installed before the end of my Phase 1 flight testing.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

2500 to 2550 rpm in cruise for 100kts at 2-3000 feet MSL. Knob full in for climb. Not certain about the revs on climb.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Phil if I am trying to get somewhere, I typically cruise at 2500 RPM . Of course depending on the altitude , this yields on average a TAS of 100kts, and 5.5 GPH fuel burn and is about 65 % power. This for me seems to be the sweet spot for noise level, fuel burn, speed and Continental's recommended cruise limit of 2550 RPM (94 hp). When i am flying just for fun around my local area, I am at 2200 RPM and a 4 to 4.5 gph fuel burn and not trying to get anywhere.
    Once again we know how variable perf can be depending on density alt, but on average a solo climb rate (full fuel) is typically 1200 fpm at 75-80 mph. Like Jeff says in a previous post , this doesn't seem to change too much with a slower climb speed like Vy , which is 70 mph in my plane. Not much over the nose visibilty @ Vy , so 80 mph makes a good cruise climb.
    I suspect better perf figures with you plane based on your empty weight alone as it is much lower than my 950 lbs. Still don't know how you did that, very impressive! The lift strut fairings typically make a huge difference once installed , so numbers you are seeing now will get lots better with them in place. Have fun , Bruce N199CL

I normally drive around at 2200-2300 rpm, going some place I might
    use 2400-2500 and it will sit at 120 mph, firewalled it exceeds vne
    and sounds like a runaway freight train.

2200 is my normal local flying rpm setting. I really don't like higher power
    settings as it get's noisy, and the airplane is (in my opinion) no happy
    going fast.

When I used to fly rentals, I was big believer in "max rental power" for the
    throttle. Now even when I go out and fly the FBO's Archer, I have to remind
    myself to push the lever forward.

I hot wired cut, and glassed over foam cores to airfoil my lift struts. I used
    some airfoil specs from the uiuc airfoil database. I'm not sure if my airplane
    is faster than many because of it, but with all the props I have had on the
    plane I have never had a problem exceeding VNE in level flight. So I'm with
    Bruce on - You want to get rid of those round tubes.

Jeff

I just climbed mine to 14K the other day, and climbed at around 85 the entire
    way up, and I was over 1000 fpm all the way past 12K easily. I think is was
    closer to 2000 fpm after takeoff (cold weather and light load), and 1200-1500
    a good part of the way up.

I only ever climb below 70 on takeoff, mine gets super climb speeds at 80+
    and good visibility as well.

I honestly think they all have the same specs, and prop doesn't do that
    much with the IO-240. The only reason I would consider a change from
    the Sensenich is to fly in the rain more.

Jeff

What a treat to watch that video. Loved the sound of that O240 cranking up and takeoff. The plane is beautiful! Congratulations!

Thanks Stan, I like the sound of the engine too. How is your build coming?

To the rest of the IO-240 guys, thanks for the info. I should be able to start getting some data soon and yes, I will be putting the strut fairings on.

I was able to get the fuel injection system adjusted today. It took longer than I expected. At one point the engine would hardly start and run. Then I ran down the battery and had to charge it to continue. While it was charging I went through all of my notes from the runs. I ended up setting the metered and unmetered fuel adjustments back to their initial settings. The second time through worked and I got the fuel pressures and idle mixture all in spec.

I talked with B&C again today because my alternator is still popping the over voltage CB. I did 3 landings today to warm up the engine and the CB popped on the first circuit. They gave me a couple more things to check, but we are running out of ideas. This is what is holding me up from doing more flying because I have been flying on the battery only. I don't want to go for more than an hour at this point. Hopefully I can do the other checks tomorrow.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

IO-240B Fuel Injection -

There's a really simple check for your fuel pressure settings, that I do pretty
    much every flight that tells you they're close enough. If at idle, leaning the
    mixture shows an rpm increase, and while at cruise, leaning the mixture
    shows an rpm increase. You can be reasonably sure that your pressures
    are basically good (maybe not perfect, but likely safe).

If either of these checks fails, then your pressure settings are off.

When I was in the Navy I changed a LOT of bad circuit breakers in the
    planes I worked on (Grumman E-2C's), don't discount the possibility of a bad
    breaker.

Jeff

Jeff,

That is a good rule of thumb about the fuel pressures. I was following Continental SID97-3G, which is the bulletin for setting up any Continental FI engine. There are specific fuel pressures and RPM rise at idle cutoff that you are adjusting it to and I was able to dial it right in. This was much easier to do than the TU206s I normally work on because the Garmin G3X has accurate metered fuel pressure and RPM info. The only thing I had to hook up was a gauge to the unmetered fuel pressure port.

Thanks for the suggestion about the circuit breaker. B&C had me check the circuit breaker and alternator switch. They said to check for a voltage drop across them greater than .25 volts (mine was only .03V). After talking to B&C I ended up relocating the ground wire for the over voltage sensor. I flew the plane for over an hour today and the CB didn't pop until my first landing. I reset it and it stayed there for another 4 landings. I am encouraged by this, it looks like I am on the right track. Prior this the CB popped every time the voltage came up to maximum.

I was also able to explore the slow flight, stall characteristics and stall speeds today. Stalls in a Kitfox are pretty benign.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Phil,

Regarding the OV breaker tripping, it may be possible that your crowbar OV module is the culprit. They are normally very accurate and reliable, but I have heard of them being out of specs before. I think that Bob Nuckolls may be addressing that possibility with a re-designed unit... if I'm not mistaken, I think it may have the ability to adjust the trigger voltage. I could be wrong. At any rate, I wouldn't discount the possibility of that being your problem.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime