Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel draining at uneven rates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Fuel draining at uneven rates

I flew RC for many years and some of the ducted fans had saddle tanks that fed a header. The setup of the tanks was critical so you didn't run one of the saddle tanks dry and cut your flight short. The rule of thumb was to make sure the lines that fed the tee to the header were as close as possible to the same length so the saddle tanks would drain evenly. Worked pretty well.

It's the single vent line, I ignore the difference. It will run both tanks empty
    before you fall out of the sky ... Takes a bit of getting used to, but unless
    you bore a hole in the other tank and put dual vents in, good luck fixing it.

Jeff

N85AE, Series 5, IO-240B

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    It's the single vent line, I ignore the difference. It will run both tanks empty
    before you fall out of the sky ... Takes a bit of getting used to, but unless
    you bore a hole in the other tank and put dual vents in, good luck fixing it.

Jeff

N85AE, Series 5, IO-240B
    If you say so, Jeff, but I'm not sure that line can have much to do with it. I guess that when the fuel level in the wing tank is above the level of the vent line fitting, the effective line size between the wing tank & the header tank is increased by the addition of the 1/4" vent line. However, when the fuel is below that point in the wing tank, it should make no difference. Both wing tanks already have more than adequate, individual pressurized vents. Am I missing something? I could be wrong of course - it's been known to happen on a regular basis.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Mine seems to drain evenly, both tanks usually read the same, unless I let my co pilot take the controls and not tell them to mind the horizon, keep the wings level, its pretty easy to fly with 1 wing low and not notice it, and I always check the static tubes on the gas caps, if any blockage occurs creating a vacuum in the tank could be disastrerous , seeing fuel in the tank but starving the engine..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

It's all about hydraulics. What you say makes sense, but it's not correct.
    There are several issues with the design which cause the problem. One,
    the header tank being offset to the CP side of the aircraft - This creates
    different length feed tubing. (Fluid flow is determined by viscosity of fluid,
    diameter, and length of tubing). Next the header vent, is the second
    contributor.

Anyway, that might not be a good explanation, but if a person were
    really determined to understand what is happening, the key is in the word
    "hydraulics".

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    If you say so, Jeff, but I'm not sure that line can have much to do with it. I guess that when the fuel level in the wing tank is above the level of the vent line fitting, the effective line size between the wing tank & the header tank is increased by the addition of the 1/4" vent line. However, when the fuel is below that point in the wing tank, it should make no difference. Both wing tanks already have more than adequate, individual pressurized vents. Am I missing something? I could be wrong of course - it's been known to happen on a regular basis.