Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabin size

Default Re: Cabin size

I also have the Hoerner wingtips and do like them. The only possible negative is that they add about 8" to each wingspan, which means more wing area and somewhat more float when landing, compared to my buddies with the standard tips. The Hoerners also probably reduce stall speed somewhat, but I haven't really noticed much.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ok, I did some research, and Jim, your are correct in that the catalog referee to a non droop Hoerner wing tip... however, Dr. Hoerner designed several wingtips to deal with the effect of vortices. And, the Model 3 "droop" is a Hoerner tip by design, although not as listed in the catalog, and was used on Piper Pawnees and other aircraft, not all as exaggerated and the Model 3 was.
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by grdev View Post
    I was at that air show this last summer, just live down the road from there. Do you have any idea his price?

Gil
    He has never given a solid price, and I didnt pry
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I also have the Hoerner wingtips and do like them. The only possible negative is that they add about 8" to each wingspan, which means more wing area and somewhat more float when landing, compared to my buddies with the standard tips. The Hoerners also probably reduce stall speed somewhat, but I haven't really noticed much.
    When I was building my first Model IV, the plan was to keep it in my garage and tow it to the airport. After some measuring, I contacted the factory - about 1995 - and asked how short I could trim the tips to shorten the wing length. The answer was essentially do what ever I needed to do. I cut them very short which required that I thin the lower skin for a tighter bend to mate up with the lower capstrip. Once bent to shape, I put in two or three layers of glass to return them to original strength.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel