Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912/914 starter

Default Rotax 912/914 starter

Long story, about 7 years ago my friend and I took off in his Kitfox with a rotax 914. At about 400' oil smoke started filling the cockpit. He throttled back and returned to land. After shutdown we removed the cowl started the engine and saw oil squirting from the area around the starter. He trailered the Kitfox back to his hanger. It has not been touched sence that flight. We are now both retired and have built an RV7 & 8. The question is does anyone have any experience with this problem and has anyone removed the starter on a 912 or 914. Thanks Dan

Default Re: Rotax 912/914 starter

There is no pressure oil in or around the starter on a 900 series Rotax engine.

In a 914, the turbo and its associated pressure oil lines are near there, however. At first guess, this oil pressure line from the oil pump to the turbo or the return from the turbo, would be the first thing I would like at.

What model Kitfox is it? Was nothing done further at the time?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about the oil lines for the turbo. I do not know the model of the Kitfox. My friend does not have the time or interest in working on the Kitfox but I do. current plan is to trailer it to my hanger in late February. I am currently recovering from back surgery and collecting info on this Rotax. I have pix of it but I am not sure how to send them other then by email thanks Dan

Posting photos is very easy on this forum.

Just start your reply, scroll down to "manage attachments" button and click. This will prompt you to "choose file" to find your photos and then "upload". Close that window or tab and "submit reply".
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This is the pix of the kitfox
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ho lee crap! Nice looking plane. Get 'er going. It's a shame to let that just sit...

I couldn't agree more. My recovery from back surgery is going very well. So I hope to have it in my shop by February

All I know is that it is crazy how fast 7 years can go by...