Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitot Tube Install Model III

Default Pitot Tube Install Model III

Looking for some feedback on where you guys are running your Pitot tubes (in relation to the wing) and also if you are using any sort of static ports.

I have the stock Kitfox III location (where it exits the bottom of the wing anyway), the tube sensing opening is about 1" aft of the leading edge and about 4" below the wing.

I am also not running a static port, just an orificed plastic plug in the back of the instrument.

Default Re: Pitot Tube Install Model III

For a static port, I too, will just have a vented plug behind he panel.

I am running the AOA Dynon pitot tube in my project plane. I located it on the wing between where the lift strut and jury struts attach for protection.

I never cared for the location on my yellow plane outside the lift strut location. It has been bent several times there.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

There has been lots of discussion on static port location with no clear conclusion. My impression is that many just use an orifice behind the panel, but many also use the factory recommended location low on the left side tail area under the lift handle (that's where I put mine). Some use two, one on each side. It boils down to personal preference and how leaky your particular cabin area is (liklihood of slightly pressurizing your cabin during flight/slips, etc.) I haven't heard of anyone who has actually done a controlled test on various locations on the same plane.

I located my Dynon AOA pitot tube outboard of the lift strut attach point (again, factory location-I guess I am a wuss and just follow the book), but I personally know of several who have located it inboard for better protection and are very happy with the results.

How's that for answers that really say nothing. Hey its experimental.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

By the way, my comments are in relation to the model SS7; I didn't notice your model III reference until I had posted, however I think most of my comments still apply.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My model 4 has the pitot tube in the same position as Av8r3400 since 2003 and never had it damaged by hat wearing pitot tube benders.

Also I vent behind panel with great results. Doing the 7 Super Sport the same.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I sit pretty quiet on this forum but am curious about this, does that mean you guys are mounting the pitot tube on the number 4,5,or 6 rib also with a left turning prop of the 582 would that make any difference?

TJay, engine choice or prop rotation would have no effect if mounted on the next rib inboard from the normal position shown in all manuals. If I can locate some photos of my pitot tube I will post them.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear