Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: airworthiness

Default airworthiness

saw an ad for a plane that "needs current airworthiness". I looked it up and it's registration expired 2 yrs ago. All I can find in my internet search is that the n-number will not be available for 5 yrs. I would therefore need to apply for a new n- number and I assume I would need the AW cert updated for the new n-number. My question is would I also need to get a new AW done? I thought they never expired. So would I just need to apply for a new registration and n-number change along with it being changed on the AW cert? or would I have to have a whole new AW inspection done along with all that? I know that the annual is needed but that is another issue. I know I will have to go through the FAA but my experience is the people I have talked to don't know as much as I would like for them to and I usually leave with more questions than answers.

Default Re: airworthiness

I saw that ad. I took it as it just needs a current annual done.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_swordguy View Post
    saw an ad for a plane that "needs current airworthiness". I looked it up and it's registration expired 2 yrs ago. All I can find in my internet search is that the n-number will not be available for 5 yrs. I would therefore need to apply for a new n- number and I assume I would need the AW cert updated for the new n-number. My question is would I also need to get a new AW done? I thought they never expired. So would I just need to apply for a new registration and n-number change along with it being changed on the AW cert? or would I have to have a whole new AW inspection done along with all that? I know that the annual is needed but that is another issue. I know I will have to go through the FAA but my experience is the people I have talked to don't know as much as I would like for them to and I usually leave with more questions than answers.

According to FAA aircraft query it has an expired registration and I am sure out of annual. Since reg is older than 90 days expired the n-number is no longer valid or available so at the very least it needs a new number and annual.

some sellers remove the plane's registration and sell it as parts to avoid liability

if so, you would have to start over with the inspection, registration, etc

Quote Originally Posted by tx_swordguy View Post
    According to FAA aircraft query it has an expired registration and I am sure out of annual. Since reg is older than 90 days expired the n-number is no longer valid or available so at the very least it needs a new number and annual.
    I think the current owner can get the paperwork in order with the FAA if he wants to. The way these registrations get expired is usually the person has moved and not informed the FAA of their current address. When the FAA sends the info for renewing the registration every three years, that letter goes to the address they have. The post office does not forward this to a new address but sends it back to the FAA. Then the registration expires. The registration is not purged for at least 6 years I believe. I think the owner can straighten out the paperwork by contacting the FAA and following their directions. Jim Chuk

get it registered

put new number on airplane

get A DAR to issue you an Amended Airworthiness certificate and limitations

David Kelm
    FAA DAR
    Kitfox 7SS 912iS

Can you elaborate on your reply a bit? Please understand that I'm not asking this in a doubting way, but rather I honestly would like to understand more about how this process would work. Thanks, Jim Chuk

if it was me. the first thing is to make sure that the Airworthiness certificate was not turned into the FAA.
    if that was done there may be no way to reissue it.

say you have the aircraft records, old airworthiness cert, and old limitations
    you need :
    1. new N number
    2. aircraft registered ( FAA form 8050-3 hard card)
    3. n number on the aircraft
    with all that
    4. make application to the FAA ( FSDO office or a DAR)
    to get an Amended Airworthiness Certificate. the current N number is on the AW certificate and Limitations.
    5. do a condition inspection
    6. fly airplane

the Application is FAA form 8130-6

no FAA inspection of the aircraft is required. just a paperwork thing

note: not all DARs can do amended certificates

David Kelm

once expired after 90 days it must be reregistered and will get a new number

David Kelm

Was I correct in my post in saying the current owner could get things straightened out with the FAA regarding a lapsed registration caused by the Post office returning the three year registration renewal sent from the FAA? Again, I'm not arguing, I just want to know what's what. Thanks for your replys. Jim Chuk