Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screamin High EGT's 582

Default Screamin High EGT's 582

Just putting a 582 in Service and am getting some screamin high EGT's, predominantly 4500 to 5500, however the numbers are higher than anticipated across the board.

582 with 2.62 C box and GSC 3 blade turning 6500 at full power at 55 MPH (as a setting). 6,200 static on the ground.

EGT's run 1,300-1,400F at mid range though do pull down to 1,200F at full power. Still way too high.

All items are new, including carb boots and engine seals.

Needle is in the richest position. All needles, needle jets, main jets and pilot jets are per Bing spec for the 582.

OAT at 50F.

Any thoughts? Plugs look good and engine runs fine. Kinda thinking (and hoping) that it is an indication issue?

Larry
    Last edited by LSaupe; 10-23-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Default Re: Screamin High EGT's 582

Don't run at those EGT's or you'll melt pistons and have engine failure.

First, how are you measuring your EGT's? Analog gauge or digital? Analog gauges tend to be more inaccurate. I was able to borrow a thermocouple calibrator to check mine. I found the analog meter so far off I replaced it with an MGL E-1.

What main jets are you running and what needle position? Prop load has a huge effect and I would increase your pitch to try to get them down a bit even if your static drops some.

Until I installed my HacMan mixture control, I totally had to avoid the mid range throttle settings. It made pattern work a miserable experience.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post

First, how are you measuring your EGT's? Analog gauge or digital? Analog gauges tend to be more inaccurate. I was able to borrow a thermocouple calibrator to check mine. I found the analog meter so far off I replaced it with an MGL E-1.

What main jets are you running and what needle position? Prop load has a huge effect and I would increase your pitch to try to get them down a bit even if your static drops some.

Until I installed my HacMan mixture control, I totally had to avoid the mid range throttle settings. It made pattern work a miserable experience.
    Measuring EGT's with the Kitfox supplied Westach EGT indicator and probes. Increased the prop one degree in pitch, however made it a real mutt. Does decrease EGT's marginally. Needles in richest setting and jetting per Bing manual std day conditions (as is shown in the Bing book before calibration changes for density altitude). Same getting teh rest of the 582's are running here.

What is a Hacman mixture control?

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    Measuring EGT's with the Kitfox supplied Westach EGT indicator and probes. .
    S*&!tcan that Westach or find a way to calibrate and mark it for 1200 deg. It's the most likely suspect, but whatever you do, don't fly it if it's possible you're getting to 1300 to 1400. Accurate EGT readings are the key to keeping a two stroke running.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    What is a Hacman mixture control?
    It's a simple to install but very effective mixture control that works with Bing carbs. See: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ghlight=HacMan
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Any chance its this 3 blade GSC? I have seen some other posts with similar issues (high EGTS using a GSC). Mid range EGT's skyrocketing unless overloaded a bit. Not a good load profile over the RPM range etc.

S*&!tcan that Westach or find a way to calibrate and mark it for 1200 deg. It's the most likely suspect, but whatever you do, don't fly it if it's possible you're getting to 1300 to 1400. Accurate EGT readings are the key to keeping a two stroke running.
    We are also going to try a TC calibrator this AM. Dang... Are these Type J or Type K, do you recall by chance?

Looks like Type K. This is so frustrating.

The westech probes I have are j-type. (CHT probes)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos