Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mk 4 landing gear

Default Mk 4 landing gear

We aren't too far off getting another KF back in the air.
    The owner( my brother) is concerned about the gear strength,which I dont believe is an issue!
    I can't find the post ,But a While ago mention was made indicating the mk 4 had a thicker wall thickness .
    Is this true,and all mk4 or just the 1200 model

Default Re: Mk 4 landing gear

Dusty,

I had an issue a few years ago and replace my left main gear after a ground loop. I bought a used gear from a member off this sight without giving much thought about it coming from a model 3 or 4. I assumed at that time they were all the same thickness tube. It bolted up with now problem. After putting about 100 hours on the used gear, the gear broke during taxi. The break caused the Kitfox to drop and I destroyed 2 IVO prop blades. I cut out the thin wall tubing on the bungee gear and welded thicker wall tubing and never had any issues for years after that but it was in the back of my mind every landing. This past Spring, replaced the bungee gear with a Grove gear. Wish I had done that years ago.
    Just sharing my experience.

Broke during taxi
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Thanks
    The bungee area seems to be one to watch! We will remove the bungy and check.

Bungee gears have been used for decades on Kitfoxes and Avids without issues. However, I do believe you can overstress an older model light gear on a newer. heavier airplane. I think it critical to make sure you have the right gear on the right airplane.

If I had a bungee gear and didn't feel good with it (unless you really want a spring gear), I would have the gear strengthened by either sleeving in a new heavier tube along with some nice new welds holding everything together (to avoid weld issues - which I also believe is an issue on some models - not every welder is the same....).

Another option is to put one of Kitfoxes new improved tube gears on if you still like the look of the older gear (like I do). Like the one you see on the new Kitfox STOL STI. Looks great and probably the same or less $ than the Grove, and probably weighs less too.

At this stage an inspection will have to do, but removal and sleeving is the long term solution.
    The bungee gear isn't a "critical" issue but just something to be aware of.
    Mine took quite a beating in the early days no problems!
    The only reason I fitted the highwing cabane gear was my truss had been repaired and I wasn't happy with the repair quality
    With freight customs and our exchange rate the cabane gear is an expensive option,getting one built as a on off was a similar price.
    I agree that the old school gear looks great and the grove may be heavier
    I just can't see KNZ looking as cool on chicken legs!(sorry just an opinion)
    Was there a stage were the tube thickness was increased on the later models?

Wink Re: Mk 4 landing gear

Dusty,
    Spend the money. Buy a spring gear. Save your plane. You never know when the weather will force a hard landing. The Grove can take anything the plane can stand. Take my word for it. If I had grove gear a year ago I would have 2 planes flying and one building. Instead, I have one plane flying, and an engine and instruments for the one I'm building Just food for thought. Hind sight vs. forsight.

Eddie
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

+1 for Grove gear. I wouldn't own a Kitfox without it.

Just a heads up. If you decide to go with the Grove Gear. Plan at least a 4 to 5 month lead time from the time you put in your order until the time you receive your gear.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Really?

I ordered a set on 9th August and it arrived in the UK two weeks later.

I ordered two sets of custom gear, one for an Avid one for my IV. Total time was about 6 weeks. This was about a year ago.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos